New Lights!

MADMAC

Here's a couple of pics of some new lights I'm gonna try in the engine compartment, and I'm thinking about buying the 4" ones for a courtesy light inside. The pictures don't do these guys justice; these suckers are bright!

Cold Cathode Kit 12" white with transformer

MonteHood016.jpg

MonteHood021.jpg

MonteHood023.jpg

Funny story about these CCT's.

A friend of my sisters asked me to build a PC for him, he was on a budget and couldn't afford a new one, so I had some drives and a spare power supply and old case, and he bought a MB and some odds and ends for it.

I called him the night I built it and asked him. "Do you want any case lights...." He didn't let me finish my sentence, as I was going to offer him some blue ones I had sitting that I wasn't using. His case was Black and it's a nice effect with the blue CCT's glowing inside.

He was in the middle of a break up with his girl and a I guess a little irritated, and he sort of snapped "Sure, make sure their pink, I have to go"! and he clicked off the phone.

I thought, "Oooookay pal....you asked for it..you got it".

Took me three PC stores but I did find a pink light, you get some STRANGE looks from other men when you ask "Do you have any pink case lights?" But it was worth it...and I did install it.

And when he fired it up the first time he got a pretty pink glow coming out the back of his PC I also loaded it to boot with a Windows Screen Saver that scrolled and said...."be careful what you ask for...you just might get it!" In.... Pink letters of course! laugh

Quote:
And what was his reaction?

My sister is merciless...and told him, See? "THIS is what happens to Smart Alec that hang up on my bro bud"

He just kind of stared at it with a embarrassed look on his face and said..."Okay...I guess I had this one coming..now...how do you shut it off?!?!?"

I by no means am computer savvy but thats where I first saw these lights.This was a few years ago, and me and my boss were stopping to get parts from the Elec/Cmptr distributor and I saw a display with some colored cathodes. First thing I thought was that would be pretty could for an engine compartment light and for an underdash courtesy light but I didn't want any weird colors. A few weeks ago I stopped at the same distributor and for some reason they had no idea what I was talking about. I guess they were getting confused because I told them I was trying to use them for an Auto application.Anyways I came home and jumped on the internet and the only ones I could find were for computers and some were really expensive. The most common had computer style hookups and I didn't want to do a conversion, I wanted a direct hookup for cars. And these are the ones I found.The transformer does all the "coverting"for you; just hook the hot and ground to your battery.(Just in case you were wondering I know very little about electrical either nutz) We'll see how they work in my engine bay, but on the site I found them they had some video and pictures of stuff other people had done to their cars and They had them in their engine compartment so I shouldn't have a heat issue. Most of the guys have all these crazy flashing lights and weird colors(These import,tuner guys do some odd stuff to their cars) I wanted them for functionality(is that a word?), and the white light is very bright compared to the old style underhood light we have on our cars. Don't worry, if I had a "special" Monte i would keep it original. But mine was a 350, 350; 2 barrel option car so I'm modifying it to the way I want it. Like I've said in the past I'm all about being different.