connecting engine to transmission

i am ready to connect my 350 small block to my 700r4 trans. just to make sure i don't screw anything up, i wanted to check with someone who knows what they are doing.

i bolt the flex plate to the crankshaft, bolt the torque converter to the flex plate and bolt the transmission onto the block. am i leaving anything out here?

i have four of these removable plastic plugs on my new rebuilt trans. two are for oil cooler lines, one is for the dibstick, and there is another plug

right next to the dipstick plug. anyone know what that's for?

anyone know where i can find a tube [i forget what it's called] that goes down to the trans, that you feed the dibstick into? my rebuild trans didnt come with one.

lastly, i want to get a automatic racing shifter for the floor of my monte, anyone know how to connect it to the transmission? cut a hole in the floor and.....

thank you very much, any suggestions, infomation or books i should get on this would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

dave

Dave, I did the conversion about three years ago. Maybe I can recall enough to help you. The hole next to dipstick is for the TV cable. It should have a thin wire with a loop end sticking out. TV cable attaches to this wire and bolts to case. Other end of TV cable hooks to carb. You also need the carb/TV cable bracket that bolts to carb and TV cable slips into it. If you don't have a TV cable their available at parts stores. Make sure you get the right length. The adjustment of the TV cable is super important. If it isn't adjusted correcly the trans can burn up real quick. My super important advice: Get someone knowledgeable with 700R4s and have them adjust it before moving the car under its own power. Would expect transmission places to have dipstick tubes. Floor shifter installation instructions come with shifter. Ed

The other important part that you might not know is that you (1)attatch the flex plate to the crankshaft, and you (2)install the torque converter into the front of the trans....THEN (3)you bolt the trans to the engine. The converter needs to be rotated several times to get it to engage fully into the trans and line up with all the splines and the trans pump. You need to be sure the converter is all the way in before you try to connect the trans to the engine. If everything goes right, once the engine and trans are bolted together there should be a GAP between the converter and the flexplate. This is important because if you don't have the converter fully into the trans, bolting it to the engine will force the converter back and put pressure on stuff inside your trans that will get ruined. Once the engine and trans are together you can just rotate the converter to line up the bolt holes and pull it forward to meet the flexplate.