trans swap

I have a 71 Monte with a 350 and a 350th trans. I was wondering if it would be worth my trouble to swap it out for a 700r4 trans. i'm looking to put a little more power behind the car, and put in 3.55 gears. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Hey, welcome to the site. I have a buddy with the same set up(the 350 is probably pushing around 400 HP) in a 79 camaro and he swapped in a 700-r4 with 3.90 gears. Simply put, the car is an animal now and cruises fine on the highway. He took out a Subaru WRX from a dead stop, despite the all wheel drive!(not that I condone that sort of thing..heh..heh) Just as a heads up, I think the part that surprised him was the converter cost him $750. He used a 10 inch for the higher stall and said it had to be made.

Just as a possible alternative, I have a gear vendors overdrive unit in my 70 monte. So far, I think it is great.

Hey, welcome to the site. I have a buddy with the same set up(the 350 is probably pushing around 400 HP) in a 79 camaro and he swapped in a 700-r4 with 3.90 gears. Simply put, the car is an animal now and cruises fine on the highway. He took out a Subaru WRX from a dead stop, despite the all wheel drive!(not that I condone that sort of thing..heh..heh) Just as a heads up, I think the part that surprised him was the converter cost him $750. He used a 10 inch for the higher stall and said it had to be made.

Just as a possible alternative, I have a gear vendors overdrive unit in my 70 monte. So far, I think it is great.

Thats awsome! I had my doors blown of by a subaru WRX when I first bought my car. I was embaressing until I found out what their pushing. then I didn't feel so bad. But thanks for the reply. I might put a bigger rear in if I can get away with it then.

• 1 month later...