value of original block if number stamping is gone

chevygod

While trying to put 2 whole cars into a 3 car garage (imagine!), I have been going thru the endless piles of stuff I have collected over the years. One item I have been hoarding is a hurt (broken ring damage) 350 block originally from my 71 Monte. Motor was rebuilt at 118K miles, and was damaged in the bore about 70K miles later. I had thought the number stamp was intact, but it was machined away when rebuilt. I know the whole numbered correct car/NOM thing (I own a NOM 71 Vette), and know that with the stamping gone, this can't be proved to be the original motor, except in my own mind. The motor is the correct casting, and it could be sleeved and repaired. Question is, should I worry about keeping it, stash it in the junkyard out back, or ship it?

After hanging on to it for so long (20-something years), it seems stupid to get rid of it. Same time, it seems stupid to waste space on something that (I now discover) may have no value to the cars originality...

Thoughts?

Tom

unless it is a SS, 4 spd, or something that...that block (esp since the numbers are gone) isn't going to help the value of your car, and how much would it cost to build it vs how much value it will add to the car. IMO scrap-it

Guest Patrickth

Date code is more important than numbers matching for some people. You can always have it re stamped if you have the rest of the documentation and let the buyer decide if it is important or not.

I would personally always rather have the option, even if I had to read why the number is re stamped.