Installing AM/FM Stereo in an AM factory car. Is it possible?

I just got my hands on a Delco AM/FM Stereo radio out of another 70 Monte and I am currently doing a restoration on my 70 Monte. I have always wanted to put a factory AM/FM radio in but am just now becoming aware of the differences between how many speakers were used in AM radio cars, stereo, and mono. Since my car had an AM radio in it, it only has one speaker hole in the dash. I really do not want to replace my dash considering it is original and in great shape. Is it still possible to install this AM/FM stereo radio in my car and have it working correctly? Or would I have to change a lot around in order for it to work right? Would greatly appreciate the advice! 

So your car is a non-a/c car? A/c cars with am radios had the "stereo" style dash pad. 2 speakers, one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. 

That being said, yes it is possible to install an am/fm stereo radio. Obviously in your case you would need the "stereo" front speaker brackets, speakers and wiring, matching dash pad, rear speakers and wiring as well as the speaker grilles if you are going for a "factory installed" look. 

If you really wanted to keep your single speaker dash pad, you could install 2 small speakers in your dash where the single speaker was for a stereo system but obviously won't get the same sound as a stereo

• Like 4