th350 shift linkage

kc8oye

ok, here's my problem, my monte has always had excessive slop in the column shift linkage, and while I've got the front end off the car, I'd like to see about correcting that. Does anyone have some info to help me out here?

here are some observations:

rubber bushing @ column is showing it's age, but not overly sloppy.

the 'support bracket' down on the frame has a whole bunch of slop in it, like there's supposed to be a bushing in it, but isn't.

i believe there is supposed to be some kind of spring on the shorter 'cross shaft' that actully connects to the trans.

my trans shifter bracket is sort of slotted with a largerhole and a smaller hole right next to each other, the shaft slides into the large hole, then slides over into the smaller one and fits snug, seems like there needs to be somthing to keep it there, besides the pin that stops it from falling out.

any suggestions? smile

the bracket on the frame for the cross shaft SHOULD have a plastic bushing which is held into the bracket by a spring on the cross shaft .the bushing has the hole in the center to fit over the cross shaft. one side of the bushing is flat ...this goes next to the spring.the other side is round ...goes into the frame braket. you should be able to get these from most any GM vehichle built up into the late 80s , possibly even newer ones.

the "hairclip" is what holds the cross shaft into the trans shifter shaft . it should also have a flat washer on the side of the "hairclip"

mike

cool. Thanks mike. That's what I thought. this poor car has been so *******ized by it's previous owner(s) everytime I look at one of leo's I go "Hey, my car doesn't have one of these"

:>