Dominator carb lessons

680HPStroker

After my last cam, intake, and carb change my engine ran fine, but after about 8-12 months I developed a pretty noticable hesitation going from part throttle steady state cruising to wide open throttle. I finally turned it over to my dyno shop and he addressed this issue. What was happening is that when the secondaries on the dominator would kick in I was in a lean condition measured by a wide band O2 sensor. I'm still not straight on all the technical jargon, but the answer to this problem was to open up the suirter .010". I'm still running a little rich at idle and part throttle(12:1), but not so much as it will foul my spark plugs. An air bleed should fix that part, but I'll wait a while on that.

Just for information purposes I called the carb manufacture(AED Perfomance)to get their insite. They said they would use a different approach. They said that what was done was not wrong and is typically what is done by carb tuners, but it's only masking the real problem and may make a BB a little lazy off the line. They said they would have left the squirter alone and would have started with setting the idle speed lower than normal, then adjust the idle A/F mixture screws until the engine started to slow, then they would have adjusted the screws one to one and three quarters of a turn to bring the mixture to the high side. If the hesitation was still present they would have then changed the intermediate air bleeds. I pick up my car today and my dyno shop agree's with AED in theory, but 15+ years of tuning carbs has taught him that this is the best fix for a dominator carb that is otherwise running well. Interesting that there is two schools of thought to acheive the same result. Just thought this would be some interesting information for anyone who has encountered this very same problem.

That is the heart of carb tuning right there. Your carb needed more fuel, and it doesn't care where it gets it from. If it was running lean just on the throttle transitioning, then I would adjust the squirters or cams, but if it runs lean at a cruise at low rpms then I would richen up the idle circuit like AED was suggesting. Both will work, but if you didn't need the fuel all the time, you may be getting too much fuel if you do what AED recommended.

Just out of curiosity, is yours a 2 or 3 circuit Dominator?

It's their 3 circuit Pro-Street Dominator. Check out AED's website. This frigin carb is awesome. It has all the great things a dominator is good for and none of the bad street driving manners they are known for.

• 3 years later...