Converting OEM tank to fuel injection question...

JP_AstroMan

Hey folks...I am replacing my broken sending unit with a Holley OEM-style EFI fuel pump/sender unit. I'm unsure as to whether I need to retain the 3 vents running to the separator. Maybe this is a question for Holley but thought I'd check here first. Thanks for any advice! 

here is the pump... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-373

I replaced my whole system, tank, fuel lines, pump and sending unit when I installed the new tank  for my EFI. I had thought of using the tank that was in the car but its condition was unknown to me. If you are using this system with a carburetor would you need a pressure regulator 58# seems like a lot of fuel. I know my Sniper needs 58#  to operate correctly.

• Like 2

I'm guessing you have EFI on the car, Frankie?

Regardless, you still want some type of venting on the tank, unless you're using a vented cap.

Like Larry, when I converted to EFI, I got a tank that was made specifically to work with EFI, meaning the pump itself is submerged in some type of section to help keep it submerged. Unlike a carburetor that has a fuel bowl to rely on, if the in-tank fuel pump sucks air due to low fuel level, inadequate baffling, hard cornering, etc, that's going to be a problem.

I looked at that Holley unit you mentioned, and to me, just didn't seem like it was going to work as good as a dedicated EFI tank/pump system. If you decide to go with that, I'd suggest keeping your fuel levels above half tank maybe...

I got an Aeromotive EFI tank for my 72, and incidentally, it came with the 3 vent tubes, just as the original factory tank had.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I am using a Sniper and have a 575hp 496. This pump should work perfectly according to Holley. The car came with a brand new OEM tank so I'm sticking with it. 

So apparently you can't have too much venting...I think I'll run all three vents either through the original separator or more likely to three small breather vents mounted as high as possible. And then switch my gas cap to a vented cap as well. I dropped the tank today and plan to run all new fuel lines from tank to Sniper.

37 minutes ago, JP_AstroMan said:

.I think I'll run all three vents either through the original separator or more likely to three small breather vents mounted as high as possible. 

I ran the 3 lines to the factory separator, then put a small filter right there where the line would have ran up front. I'll get a picture of it later.

• Like 3

Here's the filter, taken from the rear view. It's a Fram G2 element, basically just put there to keep dust from entering the gas tank, but allowing full venting. I know there's supposed to be some type of orifice in one of those lines, if it was actually using the charcoal canister, but that's obviously not the case here, and isn't installed.

20230711_222801.jpg

• Like 2

Great, thanks

On 7/11/2023 at 5:39 PM, jft69z said:

I'm guessing you have EFI on the car, Frankie?

Regardless, you still want some type of venting on the tank, unless you're using a vented cap.

Like Larry, when I converted to EFI, I got a tank that was made specifically to work with EFI, meaning the pump itself is submerged in some type of section to help keep it submerged. Unlike a carburetor that has a fuel bowl to rely on, if the in-tank fuel pump sucks air due to low fuel level, inadequate baffling, hard cornering, etc, that's going to be a problem.

I looked at that Holley unit you mentioned, and to me, just didn't seem like it was going to work as good as a dedicated EFI tank/pump system. If you decide to go with that, I'd suggest keeping your fuel levels above half tank maybe...

I got an Aeromotive EFI tank for my 72, and incidentally, it came with the 3 vent tubes, just as the original factory tank had.