Just Checking In!

Just thought I'd check in with you guys and let you know I'm still alive!  Just got real busy with lots of other stuff lately.  I've got the Monte Road worthy and finished my initial projects with her, although I still need to find the right wire for the Fast Idle Solenoid.  The one I have connected to it now (which is the one that was connected to the bad solenoid when I got the car) is hot anytime the ignition is on and I need the wire that is only HOT when the AC is turned on.  I looked at some schematics and I think I'm looking for a purple one.  Haven't gotten back on it as I have had other priorities lately, but I'm gonna get back on it pretty soon.  Haven't even driven her since I got the speedometer issue fixed to see it actually work, but I know it will because the speedometer checked good on hand power!  Still got a slight oil leak on the passengers side valve cover I believe.  I think the tin might be bent or something because I've changed the gasket twice now, and pounded the holes flat the second time, (I didn't the first time) but it's still getting some oil out under the lip and down the head on the exhaust manifold.  So I'm not driving her till I get that sealed up good.  I may try a cork gasket since it's a little thicker than the rubber gasket.  I've also got a set of Edelbrock aluminum valve covers that I may clean up and put on there but I'm not sure if they will fit underneath the A/C Bracket or not.  They're not the Tall ones but I think they're still taller than the stock tins.  Anyway, life is good and the weather is cooling off finally and getting tolerable to work outdoors some.  Hope everyone is doing well and I'll see you in the Funny Papers!

• Like 3

Wilbur, that is the correct wire.  That solenoid should energize as soon as the key is turned on.  That solenoid is also on cars without AC.  The main reason for that solenoid is an anti-dieseling solenoid.  It is there to prevent engine run-on after the key is turned off because it drops the idle down below a point to starve the carb of fuel once the key is turned off.

rob

15 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Wilbur, that is the correct wire.  That solenoid should energize as soon as the key is turned on.  That solenoid is also on cars without AC.  The main reason for that solenoid is an anti-dieseling solenoid.  It is there to prevent engine run-on after the key is turned off because it drops the idle down below a point to starve the carb of fuel once the key is turned off.

rob

Hmmm.  Well what do you do about the A6 Compressor pulling the engine idle down so far when the AC is turned on and the compressor engages?  I thought that was the purpose of that solenoid.  I can adjust the car so that it will idle at a reasonable idle speed with the solenoid engaged I guess, but then when I turn on the A/C it will bog the motor down and then when I put it in drive idle drops even more.  If I adjust the idle to compensate for the A/C and in gear, then when I stop and park the idle is way too high.  What am I missing here?  Is there supposed to be another solenoid for A/C operation somewhere else?  Or do I just have to live with it.  I know on later models, (maybe not Monte's but other cars I've owned) the solenoid is only energized when you turn on the ac to give a little boost to compensate for the extra load.  Don't get me wrong, I believe you, I'm just trying to get my head around it, and figure out a way to have a happy medium.  I mean the spec I think is what like 600 or 700 in drive and when you turn on the A/C it'll drop like a rock from there.