Side Markers

Rothe

I have been going through the 72 Monte a little at a time. For some reason a I always run out of time and money. Last year I took the vinyl off and think it looks much better without it. I don't have a compressor and don't weld, so i just use a rattle can and it looks ok. I am not using any bondo or filler because I want to be able to show a body and paint shop what they are working with. I also bought a new trunk lid and have sent the rear bumper out to be straightened and rechromed. This weekend I decided to take the bottom trim off and rattle can up to the back of the doors this year. The passenger side rear quarter is rusted all the way through in several places where the molding used to be. I am a big fan of Chip Foose and like the way the Monte looks without the side molding. I know chip took out the side markers, but I like the way they look. My question is what have others done for trim around the side markers? I have a few ideas, but if there is something that is easilier and cheaper I'm all for it. I guess I will have pile of trim for sale shortly. Some looks pretty good, some not so good. I might need to cut the trim around the markers so those pieces may not be useable when I'm finished. Any ideas would be helpful.

Cool, another member from the "Great Northwest"!

I know that others, if they've gone with the "shaved" trim look, have used side marker lights that were originally intended for other cars - being as how the factory side markers weren't designed for being left untrimmed.

Basically that means finding some side marker light styles that you like and then installing them where the factory side markers used to be. This will require patching the existing holes with sheet metal and smoothing as well as creating new holes to fit the new marker housings into, but it would be the correct way to do it.

A couple of my favorite, simple side marker light designs that I believe are available as repros from parts suppliers today would be the 1968 Mopar style (small circle with chrome trim bezel) and the 1969 Chevelle/Camaro style (small rectangle with chrome trim bezel). I'd probably be more inclined to use the 1969 Chevelle/Camaro style because they're factory Chevrolet, and if the Monte's side markers wouldn't have originally been integrated and trimmed with the lower body moldings, those are what likely would have been used. They're unobtrusively small, simple and tasteful.

smile

Dave