should i rebuild or buy any help ???

ok iam new to the site so please take it easy, I have a freshly rebuilt 454 don't know anything about it i gave the shop the motor and said make me a mild street engine im lookin into gettin either a new one or getting the th400 i have now rebuilt if i chose to rebuild what kits should i buy to do the rebuild myself or bring to the shop cause i spent all the money on the engine itself any help thaks.

There are some special tools needed for the trans to be rebuilt properly. I would take to a shop to be done. Were are you located? Maybe one of knows of a shop close to you.

Don

well i live in louisiana i have been looking in the phone books for some shops i found them i just have to call i though about getting a rebuilt kit and bringing to the shop along wit the tranny to save money what you think.

I own a shop in Michigan and most shops frown on customers bringing in there own parts. I do on occasion install customer parts, but I will not warranty repairs.I'ts kinda like taking your own eggs to the resturant and asking them to cook them!Save your money, get a good rebuild with a warranty. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.Just my opinion from past experience!

Mike

could i do a good rebuild myself and if so what kits includin shifter kits would yall recommend me to get and is there books for my th400 i can use as a howto book to do the rebuild

Lookin 4 a 1972, if you have never worked on a transmission before, I wouldn't start learning by working on a turbo 350 or 400, from what I hear there pretty complicated, not that you couldn't learn, I would ask a buddie that's worked on these transmisions before and learn from him or her, there's nothing like hands on training versues reading an instructional manual. Another 2 cents, man I'm about to run out of pennys. wink

fgmcc

just my opinion...like you did with the motor I would wait and have it proffesionaslly done.There are special tools and like almost any trade "tricks and techniques"thst you will not have access to on your own.Also,as others have stated do notr show up with any parts-like many trades the warranty goes out the window and usually only aggravates the craftsman.Better to research various shift kits ahead of time this way you get the trans thst you want,and go in as an'educated consumer'".