Valve body or shift kit, both?

Reaper

Hey, just wondering I have a turbo 400 that is gonna be in my Monte behind my big block... gonna be a strip/street car I dont mind shifting the gears myself for the manual valve body... What would be my best bet.... Manual valve body, Manual/Auto valve body or a shift kit or valve body and a shift kit? I dont know much about trannys... any ideas? Thanks, Tom

I like the B&M transkit it gives you lots of options. It is a lot easier to work on the trans out of the car, you don't have to worry about loosing your balls (check balls), I just did a TCI shift kit and the instruction were not as clear.

Go to a manual valve body. It eliminates all the vacuum and kick down problems associated with transmissions. It is also easier to do the valve body replacement outside of the car especially the pressure regulator spring.I do trannies for a living.

Reaper, I either the transpak or the plain shift improver kit will work fine for you. Also, I'll vote for the manual/automatic valve body. A straight manual body means you HAVE to shift it gear to gear, it will not do it automatically. I have had friends do this mod and it's cool for a week, then they hate it because they get tired of shifting it. Every time you come to a stop, you have to shift down to first, and then through second and third as you drive away. If you don't downshift all the way and start from second or third, you can burn up the transmission if done often enough or hard enough.

Something else to watch out for and might be worth a call to B&M is to make sure the shift kit does not remove your engine braking. Many th-400s lose their engine braking with the installation of a shift kit which is fun for a while, until things blow up! It is basically like you have an unlimited stall. Say you take the car to 5000rpm in first, then let off the gas, the rpm goes to idle, and if you give it gas it does not affect the engine again until the rpms match the speed you are going. So, get her up to 5k, let off, then nail it again, and you get a 5k stall!

So, to sum up, get the $30 shift kit, and use your valve body wink just my opinion.

Thanks guys smile I think I will get the transpak. Straight manual valve bodies do suck to a point... I use to have a 71 Chevelle and the trans went out on it. We had one out of a car that we never drove but was told the trans was good, so anyway we put this trans in the Chevelle and I started the test drive. Drove around for about 20 minutes trying to get it to shift into second, was checking things out jumping on the gas blah blah blah. Eventually I though Ill try to shift it myself just for the hell of it and bam second and third I went smile Ended up getting a speeding ticket as soon as I figured it out.... Oh well it happens. After about a week though it did get old, I kept forgetting to put it back in first and had to stop do it right, if I tried to goto first while the car was moving it wouldnt shift to second. Anyway it did get old so if I did do a valve body it would prolly be a auto/manual. I think I would be a little better about remembering to shift with the Monte but its prolly best to have a manual/auto anyway smile