Manual Trans Swap questions.. again..

kc8oye

can someone describe some of the major physical differences between an M21, M22, T5 and T56 trans?

I relize that the t56 requires a hydrualic thow out doohickey.. and to me, that seems easier then trying to run clutch linkgages around headers. But seeing as my car is still an automatic, I was contemplating an 'as-would-be-stock' swap to a 4spd... get everything working, then look into what would be required to make a T56 *drool* fit...

*drool* 6spd manual.. mppph!

I mentioned the Tremec 5spd andreas... that's the T5 unless I'm mistaken..

my biggest thing is the t56 has a .5:1 6th gear, I don't beleive the 5spds go that low...

that, and just having 6 gears to row thru.. smile

wow.. $3,000 for a 5spd.. to me.. THATS NUTS

i can get a brand new T56 thru GM SPO for that.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.. maybe i'll just do the 700r4 for now... and work on the stick swap some time in the future...

700 is bolt in swap.. just move the cross member back, re-drill the frame, and get the driveshaft shortened...

That conversion looks like a nice setup. Unless I missed something the kit costs about $2700 and doesn't include other necessary items like a bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pedals, or linkages (or cable. Those things alone are going to add another $500 or so to the conversion.

I can always dream, though.

I mentioned the Tremec 5spd andreas... that's the T5 unless I'm mistaken..

T5 is also made by TREMEC, but it is for light cars only and not nearly as strong as a TKO...

There are other TREMEC suppliers out there who offer TKOs for less than $2000.

I paid $1600 for mine at www.hanlonmotorsports.com a couple of years ago... smile

The TKO has an overdrive of 0.68. With a healthy Big Block, the Monte is turning 2000 rpm at 70 mph with 3.73 gears. You need a lot of low rpm grunt from your engine to have a 0.5 OD ratio useful on the highway, since your Monte will barely be above idle...

Also check out

www.fortesparts.com/

www.5speedtransmissions.com

www.classicchevy5speed.com

www.darkhorseperformance.com

well, I planned on gearing it for about 1700 - 2000 rpm @ 70 in top gear... since that's about where just about every gm product runs (most cars anyway)