th350c shift programming

kc8oye

ok.. this is kind of compliated to explain, so I'll do my best. I got thinking about today, and I realized why my gutless fwd v6 feels like it can accellerate better at part throttle over my monte with a v8... I noticed that even at part, PART throttle, the olds will really delay the upshift. at say.. 30% throttle or so, it will hold onto 1st gear up to 4000 rpm, make a fairly soft shift, and do somthing similar in 2nd.

now.. is there a way to generate this behavior in a TH350 w/o making ALL the shift points rediculously high, or it wanting to downshift the 1st time I breathe on the throttle?

when I stand on it, I get a nice tire-screeching shift into 2nd @ 5000 rpm or so, which is awesome... but pretty much anything less then full throttle and it tends to shift way too early. Granted I make enough torque to get away with it, but it just makes it feel doggy around town...

Is what I want even possible? or is this just one of those things we get spoiled with, with the modern electronicly-controlled trans? smile

I don't want to shift harder, I want it to shift later at mid-throttle

light throttle shifts are great.. but mid and WOT I want later smile

Buy an adjustable vaccum modulator. They are a breeze to intstall and easier to adjust. Off of a weak memory, I think I paid about 15.00 for a B&M one. My understanding, which could be way off, is this directly effects line pressure. So if the trans is shifting too earlly, the line pressure could be low enough to cause slippage. I adjusted mine to shift at about 2,500 under light throttle. I would not adjust it under 2,000. Hope that helps, Big J

you can adjust the cable, but only a little bit alex, before it starts interfering with being able to GET to WOT...