what trans in late 80's monte?

mornin' feelas

what kinda tranny came in a late 80's monte with a six cylinder??

if it has the 700r4, will it fit my 72 monte??

thanx for your help.

We meet again.....

I'll jump on this since my Daily was an 85 Monte for several years.

I do not believe they ever put a 700R4 in a Monte. The 83 SSs had a Turbo 350 with 3.42s, then they went to the 200R4 soon after with 3.73.

Mine had the 305, and that had the annemic metric 200 3spd (no overdrive). I'm pretty sure that was shared with the V6 as the 305 only put out about 150 hp.

So, if it does have OD, it would be a 200R4.

BTW, I swapped in a 350, worked 200R4, and 373s. It was the perfect setup.

I prefer the 200R4 to the 700 because the gears are closer ratio and its almost exactly the same length as a TH400 - easy installation.

ok, thanx for the info. i think i might have to do some shopping. my dad is saying he picked up all his 700's for $150 at junkyards and had them worked.

i also thought about snagging a 7-speed auto from a wrecked benz and cramming it in there. lol.

i have the 2.73 gear in the rear. the build sheet says gw5. any idea what that means??

justin

I'd say if you don't plan on changing the rear gears anytime soon, the deeper 1st (3.06) of the 700 would work better for ya!

No idea about the GW5....anybody else?

Many prefer the 200-4R to the 700R-4 due to the gear ratio, overdrive ratio and ease of changing from the 350. The driveshaft length is the same for the 200-4r, the 700 is longer and requires a shorter driveshaft.

I had the TH350 rebuilt in mine just recently. What are other advantages to going to the 700R4 besides better fuel mileage? Is the the 700R4 weaker? I've seen many auctions on ebay and read many descriptions/stories about how weak they generally were before having the upgrade kits, rebuild kits to strengthen them. I thought about going to the 700R4, but the guy working on my car said it wouldn't be worth the time.

i have a 700r4 in my monte got it from bowtie overdrive in cal. can handel up to 450hp bolt right in place. used a turbo 350 drive shaft yoke along with the driveshaft it so. with the way gas prices r goin up overdrive is the way to go just my 2 cents and i want my change back.