transmission cooler

AndyBill402

I'm adding a transmission cooler to my 71 Monte. I've read where you should first send the oil through the radiator cooler, and then through the transmission cooler, and I've also read where you first send it through the transmisson cooler and then through the radiator cooler.

Does anyone know which one is really the best sequence(and why)?

Thanks,

Andrew

The way I see it is the radiator water (at best) can only cool the trans down to 180 degrees...if you want it cooler than that, then you add your aftermarket cooler to cool it even more. If the aftermarket cooler was installed AHEAD of the radiator, then it's possible that the cooler in your radiator would actually RAISE the temp back up to 180.

...The point is that if your aftermarket cooler is going to do any good, it needs to receive the fluid AFTER it has been through the radiator.

Thanks to both of you. If I want the coolest transmission oil temperature possible, it makes sense to send it through the transmission cooler last.

Do you know what the optimun oil temperature is for a TH350?

Andrew Offutt