g-Force T/A Drag Radial 2

Shadow Gray SS

I just installed the g-force radials on my Monte last weekend. I really like them, but not sure what the 2 stands for. Looking at the pictures, the only differance is the center tread isn't as wide as the ones I have. Second design???? Mine work well and I like the way they make the car hook-up. I got mine from Summit last year and just got the wheels to mount them.

Anybody have these or know anything about them?

I have had them on my car for probably over 6 years now and they are great for traction compared to a regular street tire. They are a soft tread and will wear faster but that is the price for traction...I have many burnouts from the track on mine along with maybe 10,000 street miles and they still have some tread on them. I was very suprised how well they handled in the rain, even heavy rain. I purposely tried to spin them and it took alot more than I thought...made me feel confident using them in such cicumstances.

Originally Posted By: Chevyss
I just installed the g-force radials on my Monte last weekend. I really like them, but not sure what the 2 stands for. Looking at the pictures, the only differance is the center tread isn't as wide as the ones I have. Second design???? Mine work well and I like the way they make the car hook-up. I got mine from Summit last year and just got the wheels to mount them.

Quote:
NOTE: In order to further differentiate the renamed Comp T/A Drag Radial from the existing g-Force T/A Drag Radial (that features a directional tread design), The Tire Rack will identify the renamed Comp T/A Drag Radial as the "g-Force T/A Drag Radial-2".

This apparently is the only reason...they just wanted to make it more confusing...it's still the same tire. Tire rack is the only one adding the 2 to their listing.

The reason you have such a wide center (slick) surface is cause you got such a wide tire... wink

Bill

Looking for some tires huh Jake?

they sound good Jake..I think between the competative brands like Goodrich, M/T, Hoosier, etc it's really a matter of which ones you like appearance wise. They're all the same basic concept, wide and a soft compound...I ordered mine from Summit as well. For the west coast they come from Nevada and I had them in 3 days.....Dave grin

I really like the look of the M/T's on Dave & Red's cars, but I am

thinking I would have issues here due to the amount of rain days we

have.

The BFG's I have now can't take the new BB without lots of wheel

spin and Dave got me thinking about the drag radials. The Monte won't

see a ton of track time, but I do plan on going at least a couple

of times to see how she does.

Wow, 10,000 miles with some track time, that is way better than I

was expecting. cool

What tires do you run on the front, Bill & Dave?

Hi Jake, I see your concern about the tread design. We don't drive either in the rain so we went for the M/T's because we thought they looked the best of all the top brands. We were at the street legal drags today and everyone was running the g-Force, M/T and Hooiser tires. I still like the look of the M/T's the best but that's me. The g-Forces do have a more traditional tread design.

For the front when we run it I'm going to use a pair of 4.5" Dragstar wheels I happen to have with a 5" wide tire. I haven't picked it out yet but it will be a 25"-26" tall radial. On the street I'm sticking with the 60 series that are on it now...hope that helps some Jake...Dave grin

What tires do you run on the front, Bill & Dave?

I run 255/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's on the front with my Drag Radials in back for the street and also at the track when I'm too lazy to switch over to my slicks and skinny Pro Tracs.

Sounds like the BFGoodrich with it's extra tread is what you are looking for...I have no experience with the M/T tire but from looking at the tread I would be afraid to get caught in the rain with them...my Dad has them on his car but has never had them in the rain so I can't give you an idea as how they would handle.

That being said I will be purchasing the M/T tire when my BFGoodrich's are completly worn out as I want to try their tire, I heard they get better traction at the track.

Bill

Ok once again radial tires of any variety/compound at normal pressure + high torque = wheel spin. It doesn't matter who makes the tire and how your car is set up. If you run any of these so called drag radials on the street at full pressure you will just spin and chunk up the tires in the process. If you have a high HP/TQ car and you are at a traffic light after cruising and someone with a moderately powered car pulls up beside you and wants to jump you, let them go(what you going to do ask them to wait until you drop your tire pressure). It's better to save your pride from being waxed by a 4-cyl in a cloud of smoke. From a roll is a whole different matter. If I'm rolling I'll smoke you for sure up to 10mph over the posted speed, but from a light you can forget it. I'd rather challenge you to meet at a drag strip, drop my pressure down to 15-17lbs, warm up my tires, and then hand you your backside. As always opinions vary, but the proof as always is in the pudding.

Ok once again radial tires of any variety/compound at normal pressure + high torque = wheel spin. It doesn't matter who makes the tire and how your car is set up. If you run any of these so called drag radials on the street at full pressure you will just spin and chunk up the tires in the process. If you have a high HP/TQ car and you are at a traffic light after cruising and someone with a moderately powered car pulls up beside you and wants to jump you, let them go(what you going to do ask them to wait until you drop your tire pressure). It's better to save your pride from being waxed by a 4-cyl in a cloud of smoke. From a roll is a whole different matter. If I'm rolling I'll smoke you for sure up to 10mph over the posted speed, but from a light you can forget it. I'd rather challenge you to meet at a drag strip, drop my pressure down to 15-17lbs, warm up my tires, and then hand you your backside. As always opinions vary, but the proof as always is in the pudding.

well said Greg, I would disagree with you on the value of the street drag radials however. They have for sure allowed me to put the hammer down in many situations that I could not before, they're street legal and there is no discernable difference in ride or handling. M/T says to run them on the street at no more than 75% of max pressure rating which is 33 lbs. I run mine at about 28-30 and they work great. I would run them as you suggest at the track. In my forty years of defending my car's honor on the street I have never gone from a dead stop. It's technique in teasing the other guy into your game and a rolling start allows for fun at the cat and mouse game. I usually always come out on top even if my car is really out matched because most others just don't play the game very well...my wife says one of these days I'm going to end up in jail but until then...man this is fun...Dave gringringringrin

Maybe I wasn't clear. Drag radials are fine from a roll with your 75% of max pressure, but from a stop they are no different than a standard performance tire at the same pressure. Too much torque is too much torque no matter what tire you use. Drag radials, or slicks on a drag strip are a whole different animal.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Drag radials are fine from a roll with your 75% of max pressure, but from a stop they are no different than a standard performance tire at the same pressure. Too much torque is too much torque no matter what tire you use. Drag radials, or slicks on a drag strip are a whole different animal.

agreed!!!! grin

I agree they will hook well from a role...it's the only way I'll get on my car when I'm on the street...from a stand still it does makes for a nice smokey burnout though... wink

Bill

I agree they will hook well from a role...it's the only way I'll get on my car when I'm on the street...from a stand still it does makes for a nice smokey burnout though... wink

Bill

Hey Bill (and any others), what kind of skinny front tires are you using?? I have a pair of 4.5/15 drag stars that I want to use for the track but was wondering what kind of skinny radial will work with a proper load rating....thx..Dave grin

I'm going to have to disagree here a bit.....I agree that if you flat punch your car that your going to get tire spin either way......but......I run standard BFG radials on my car during the winter....the car is like on ice with them...I can burn straight through into 3rd gear....But with my Mickey Thompson drag radials the car doesn't burn a 1/4 of the distance. In any case...if I come across some street punk who wants to run...let's face it....he's going to be running street tires in most cases....So instead of flat punching it..I ease into it a bit to prevent tire spin.... Not really that difficult.

I have yet to lose on the street with the exception of this time on the parkway where the guy wanted to go from 50mph in his super charged Shelby Mustang.... I later found out that he ran low 11's at the track as well.

I run 27lbs on the street and 20lbs at the track......Unfortunately, the tires aren't going to last 5000 miles..... smile

I'm going to have to disagree here a bit.....I agree that if you flat punch your car that your going to get tire spin either way......but......I run standard BFG radials on my car during the winter....the car is like on ice with them...I can burn straight through into 3rd gear....But with my Mickey Thompson drag radials the car doesn't burn a 1/4 of the distance. In any case...if I come across some street punk who wants to run...let's face it....he's going to be running street tires in most cases....So instead of flat punching it..I ease into it a bit to prevent tire spin.... Not really that difficult.

I have yet to lose on the street with the exception of this time on the parkway where the guy wanted to go from 50mph in his super charged Shelby Mustang.... I later found out that he ran low 11's at the track as well.

I run 27lbs on the street and 20lbs at the track......Unfortunately, the tires aren't going to last 5000 miles..... smile

Hey Steve, it doesn't sound like you're disageeing at all. That's the same way I feel and use the same method's for those pesky kids. It sounded like Greg did the same. Anyway it's all good.....what do you use on the front at the track??? Dave grin

If I want to do a smoke show I'll put on some junk bald tires and burn them down till they pop, but drag radials cost way too much money for me to go up in smoke. If money was no option it would be smoke em if you got em. For the last time on this and then I won't comment further as I've once again been accussed of something in a pm when all I was doing was speaking from experience in that a BB Chevy equipped car with a lot of torque will burn down any tire you put on it from a dead stop on the street. That's it nothing more, nothing less. The key point being FROM A STOP. Come on guys it's just tires(only if this applies to you)!

with my Mickey Thompson drag radials the car doesn't burn a 1/4 of the distance. In any case...if I come across some street punk who wants to run...let's face it....he's going to be running street tires in most cases....So instead of flat punching it..I ease into it a bit to prevent tire spin.

That's what we are saying so I would say you are agreeing not disagreeing. An actual slick aired down is not gonna hook on the street either from a stand still unless you heat it up first (I've tried it). I at times have to ease into my drag radial at launch when I'm at the track depending on track conditions but that is an absolute given for the street...it does take some feel for feathering the throttle but great traction can be achieved on the street at a stoplight with a drag radial with like 28 lbs. in it which is the pressure I run for normal driving.

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
Hey Bill (and any others), what kind of skinny front tires are you using?? I have a pair of 4.5/15 drag stars that I want to use for the track but was wondering what kind of skinny radial will work with a proper load rating....thx..Dave grin

I don't have skinny front radials, my skinny front tires are bias ply with 6.5" of tread on a 15x5" wheel...I only use those with my slicks which are bias ply also...I run my "heavy" 255/60 BFG's on the front when using my drag radials, so I never really researched a skinny radial, hopefully someone else will chime in to help you.

Bill

Dave,

My car runs on the street the same way as the track...spare in the trunk and all....lol.

Stroker..."accused in a PM"??? Of what? Having an opinion? Everyone is entitled to their opinion....A good lively debate is good for the soul....

My point was that even on the streets, drag radials have more grip than a street tire.....however little more that maybe but they have more.

Steve

Dave,

My car runs on the street the same way as the track...spare in the trunk and all....lol.

Stroker..."accused in a PM"??? Of what? Having an opinion? Everyone is entitled to their opinion....A good lively debate is good for the soul....

My point was that even on the streets, drag radials have more grip than a street tire.....however little more that maybe but they have more.

Steve

ditto Steve......I was asking about the thin front tires because way back when I was running my CobraJet '68 Fairlane I picked up 2-3 tenths by just switching to the narrow front tire. Now I have to get the Chevelle down close to where you are or hang my head in shame!!!! lol Then there's Monte, we all know Monte needs everything it can get so......I have come down with 1320 fever and I don't think there's any known cure.... grin it's hard to do a group hug on the net... eek

I don't do a lot of track time so I don't have a set of skinnies for the front...I use the same tires as in my signature. But you think 2-3 tenths??? I may have to consider that.....lol.

I know Steve, it sounds like a lot but that's what happened. I was running that car every week at the old Lions strip, probably 7-10 runs per day (Sat and Sun) and the minute I put those tires on it changed...go figure....I'm sure it varies with every situation and I don't want to start a debate about my experience. It's just rolling resistance is real but I'm no physics expert..... grin

I noticed almost a tenth, more like a solid .07 when switching to a skinny front tire.

In my case at that time I was running a slick on back (with perfect traction) with my 255/60 BFG's on a 15x7" "billet" wheel and swiched to a Pro-Trac 27" tall x 6.5" wide tread bias ply tire on a 15x5" "forged" wheel.

The lighter wheel and tire does make a difference just don't expect alot.

Another trick is to run the front tire particularly if it's a radial with it's max rated air pressure for less rolling resistance...just remember to air it down for th ride home... wink

Bill