Webpages

monte70car

Part of my final for my class is to be able to pull out our web pages anyone know how to did it in vista? In the class room we are using server 2003 but I rather have it on my home desktop or my laptop. I did it through wordpad and then I used microsoft publisher.

I'm Not quite sure what you are asking Robert.

Does the web page have to be published on the Internet? Or do you need to just provide the associated local website files from your computer on a disk?

I am at work at the moment and on an XP based box, but I have vista at home but have never did anything with my webs on Vista itself, but I can probably look at it and get back to you if no-one else chimes in.

I had a buddy hook me up last to his server. And this is what my webpage looks like webpage . It was done through notepad using html code. The teacher was talking about using iis so the class can see it. I have roughly 2 weeks to iron it out with some links added to it once I figure it out.

Robert, The Page loaded right up, so half of your battle is won if you have your friends server acting as web host, he already has IIS up and running.

You mentioned using MS Publisher, assuming you have the needed permissions on your friends server, it *should* only be a matter of creating the website in Publisher, then publishing it on the server itself. You can create the site at home and simply upload it to his server via the internet. That way all the core files to the site are in two locations one on your computer and one on the hosting server.

Since it appears that you've already coded a fair amount of HTML I would use the "HTML CODE FRAGMENT" feature and cut and past the html from your word pad, over to whatever Publisher Template you choose to use.

Once that is done, tweak as you need to, add your links you want, publish to your friends server and you should be done.

Now... if you want to host the website from your home....that's where you will need IIS and you can install that via vista by doing the following steps

Click :

Start > control panel > programs and features

From the Programs and Features window click "Turn Windows Features on or off then select "Internet Information services"

*Note here* I'm testing this as I type, and so far, Vista at least ultimate seems to have all the files it needs already, I'm not sure about other versions of Vista you may need your original Vista OS CD for certain ISS functionality to be installed.

Also the link you gave is a numerical IP which is fine it works (so the rest of this is just geek speek for now unless you're really going to start working with websites),BUT, it doesn't appear as if that server it is on is running any DNS (Domaine Name services) therefore your website can't be "named" on the web, in other words we cant go to something like www.robertswebsite.com, because the IP isn't registered in the WWW DNS as such, it's not a big deal I don't think for a class project, but if you are going to run a website full time, you'll probably want to use DNS.

To avoid a lot of complex issues, probably 95% of the web sites out there use a hosting service that will provide you with a Domain Naming service, and server space. I use Hosting Matters out of Jacksonville FL for my 454monte.com blog, but there are thousands of them out there to choose from. Then all the DNS and IP and all that stuff...well it's someone else's headache and you can just concentrate on your site... LOL.

Hope this helps.

Greg it does help trust me. He wants us to do something smiple which is fine but I wanted to push the know how as I've never done html webpage making and Microsoft publisher is really nice to use. I tried this morning adding links and I can't get the coding right so I might just give up on the links which is kinda odd for me frown.

I use <forgetit.cheesesandwich$$\\ext..opra> but then I switched to <greenfelt//jegpeg..crayons+chew> but nothing still works!! I don't know how you guys figure all this out, I'm still on medication after learning how to post a picture.... whistle

Dave,

There's nothing to figure out really...

You simply go out in your back yard.... find several species of small wood land critters, capture them, KILL them, offer them to the HTML god as a sacrifice..chant the magic words thrice, wail like a banshee (it seems to please the HTML Gods)...this must be done during a full moon btw.....and Viola! You become knowledgeable in all things HTML ...easy no?

Dave,

There's nothing to figure out really...

You simply go out in your back yard.... find several species of small wood land critters, capture them, KILL them, offer them to the HTML god as a sacrifice..chant the magic words thrice, wail like a banshee (it seems to please the HTML Gods)...this must be done during a full moon btw.....and Viola! You become knowledgeable in all things HTML ...easy no?

I thought that's what you did but I wasn't sure. the of the www. was confusing me at first but then I saw the url tags and everything came into focus. BTW, it's JMO but ILMAO everytime this happens..lol