morther boards

monte70car

I have an old compaq(one of the org. compaq's before hp got them). I have bumped the ram up to the max the motherboard can take. My question is can I take my old morther board that was in my tall desktop and put it in the tower? Its a Compaq Presario 7475. I've looked at doing the swap months back but wasnt sure if cutting a chuck out of open space would hurt anything. If I can pull the board swap off it will give in a legal copy of vista. Currently it is running Windows XP which is being upgraded to service pack 3.

I do have the old power supply. It's been a good computer the org. cd/r and dvd player are both gone but for the sound to work you must load the drivers for the cd/r and dvd player as its bundle together. Maybe I'll pull the little dmyal out and doing some cutting. I also noticed a opening on the back which looks like one could add an exhaust fan if need should the be something to look at farther down the road with the extra heat?

the motherboard has nothing to do with a copy of Vista being legal or not.. you can install your copy of vista onto any machine you want.. anywhere, anytime.. so long as it is only installed on any _ONE_ computer at a time.

Everyone is correct here with the fact that changing the mother board will not decide weather you will have vista or not. It's the hard drive that needs to be swapped over to give you vista. When you buy a (pre made) box like a compact or Hp there is usually a sticker on the side giving the serial of the operating system on it and you can use that to install vista for free on any computer as long as it's not installed on any other system or has been deactivated. If you have a pre made box like that, you have already paid for the operating system.

Garrett.

Well lets just say the copy of Vista is a full progam for the top of the line. Was going to put the drives thats in the old compaq(1999) model in my big desktop as I have the space for extar hard drives and rom's. I dont have another idie cable slot and I dont have any sata cables.

I have a plug to take an idie drive and make it into a sata. The hard drive with the full copy of Vista is a 500gb drive. As for the rom's one is a Sony cd r/w and the other is a dvd player. those are the only three that really needs to be saved. The org. drive is XP with service pack3 on it. It has a Maddog grapich card which is only 64mb and a linksys pci wireless card, the card would be the only to save there.