Need help identifying/decoding old transm #'s

Guest MCHAMMR

Guest MCHAMMR

I have an old chevy torbo 400 short tail transmission aquired nearly 30 years ago out of an old corvette (not the original car). I am trying to figure out what car it originally came out of. Here are the numbers I got off of it:

# near bell housing and torque converter - General Motors Corporation #8623462

# on small metal tag – 372 CA 66-54498

# at short tail – Lester 8623214

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Hello...

Give this link a try...

linky

The "small metal tag" should have all the data that you need...I can't quite figure it out with the way that you typed it...but ususally the "CA" is in the center of the tag, and the other letters/numbers are to the left and right of the big center letters.

Hope this helps you.

Rodney

Guest MCHAMMR

Rodney,

Thanks for the help. I have to double check the numbers, but the transmission is very clean and the numbers were quite readable. Doesn't look like there is any way to tell what car it came out of?

Thanks.

John

The book I have shows the first 2 characters before the letters on the tag are the year. Yours has 3 characters in that place. If I use the 72, the trans decodes as 350 V8, 400 V8 Chevrolet. In this case the "Chevrolet" is for full size car, Caprice, etc.

The # of prongs on the wire connector on the driver side gives a clue as to what years it could be. Also the # of dimples in the pan will help.

Can you post a pic of the tag?

Guest MCHAMMR

Thanks for the help all.

I will post pictures as soon as possible. We are getting pounded by a snowstorm today and the tranny is out in the storage barn. I'll have to dig my way back to it.

Thanks again.

John

• 4 weeks later...