Rear End....

rah72(Rick)

Ok I know it has been talked about I just can't seem to find it. towards the end of the winter I am considering a posi change over for my 72. My car is an original 12 bolt, 2.73 open( and I know for sure it is open). I am not looking to go racing just like when I do sometimes get the heavy foot I like both tires to give me smoke. So I know there was a difference in the posi and non-posi cars. I want to keep the original numbers because at this point she seems to be a numbers car even though the color is not original. I also am thinking upping to the 3.31's or 3.55's. so besides the posi unit and the new gears. I am looking for what it is I need to make the parts work in my open unit 12 bolt, or just point me to the thread that explains. Thanks again everyone...

It depends on what kind of driving you do, but if you like doing any highway driving at all, I would recommend 3.08 to 3.23 or so gears, paired to a 3-series Eaton Posi. The gears "series" needs to match the posi, so the gears will need to be 3-series too. In addition to that, you will need new bearings for the carrier, and the pinion.

Are you doing the gear change or is a shop going to do it? If you plan on doing the change, you will need some measuring tools, and a good 1/2" ratchet that you can get a cheater bar on.

You will have to get a series 3 carrier since you are going into a 3.xx gear. You will need the right tools to set of a gear set so it dont whine. An easy way out and if you like the current gears 2.73 you could go with a power trax unit which will give you the posi you want when you get on it straight and disengage when you are making turns. With the power trax unit you pull out the sprider gears and throw them away and the little power trax unit slides in their place. I keep my org. gears 2.73 and put the power trax in it and I'm very happy with the way the unit works, plus with an overdrive trans the 2.73 gears arent that bad comming off the line or from a red light.