Jetting

Chevyss

I would like some input from the members w/502 engines. I'm in the process of doing some testing and would like input to changes people have made to the 850s that come on the 502. I'm changing the ignition to MSD dist and contol box. Then I'd like to re-jet the carb or possibly go to something larger. This will be after the new TH 350 goes in.

I have a 502 (ok a 502 plus 38) in my Camaro with an 850. Very smart move going with the MSD setup. You need a rock-solid ignition to go fast. The 850 works very well on my 540- I can't complain about the performance, although I think it would pick up some with a bigger carb, I can't justify the expense.

As far as jetting, you have to figure out what works best for your combo. I mean, unless you find someone with the exact combo: same converter, trans, gears, exhaust, etc- you are only comparing apples to oranges. The way the 850 is jetted from the factory is probably pretty close to what you need. Unless you are doing back-to-back dyno or drag-testing, playing with the jets is only shooting in the dark. Unless you have a really good butt-in-the-seat-o-meter! smile But that is the fun of this hobby- figuring out what makes it faster.

ditto on Sam's response. you don't necessarily need to change the jetting unless you are getting symptoms of an improper air/fuel ratio. Checking your plugs will give you a rough estimate, but it will only show you the average of how the engine is running. The wideband O2 meter that Sam had the link to is awesome, I have used the predecessor to tune my car. The nice thing about them is that they will tell you WHERE your car is running rich or lean, like if your idle is rich, but your running down the interstate not under load is lean, but when you get on it it gets rich. . . Whatever and whenever the situation, the meter will tell you what your carb is doing and you will be able to adjust how it works. I will warn you though, it is addictive and you will have to be willing to ask a lot of questions and do some learning. If you are interested in learning more about the innovate stuff, shoot me a PM.