Schoenfeld header fit

dbreese

Ok the weather finally cooperated and I was able to test fit the new headers. Remember that 1 3/4" headers are as scare as hens teeth for s/b Montes . Well I bought a pair of Schoenfelds and did a test fit. They are suppose to fit first gen s/b Montes. Overall I was pleased with the fit. I will have to grind just a little material off of the passenger side lower a-arm mount. The tube just barely touches the mount Only need to take off about a 1/16" to get the clearance I need. On the drivers side one tube just kisses the steering shaft. I will need to make just a small and I mean a small dimple to get the clearance. No clearance issues with trans linkage, lines brake lines Other than these few issues the fit is really good. Plug access is excellent. Oil filter access is great. They tuck up very well at the collector. Header bolts are easy to get to and start and the starter is easy to get to. Hey for a 170.00 I'm happy.

Once the new engine is in I'll do another test fit then send them off to be coated. I would recommend these headers to anyone with a s/b that needs 1 3/4" primaries

David

Dave I had that very same issue with the Doug's big block headers on the passenger side, the driver side fit perfect.....

Glad you found some because that motor it going to need to breathe. When I switched over from 1 3/4" to 2" on the Shovelle it made a difference....

also something to think about Dave. I've been playing with collector extensions. Back in the day a lot of us use them to help the low end when we went with the bigger cams. I'm sure there are tons of theories about this but I just used the "in the field" approach and I think they are working pretty good. Right now I'm using some 10" ones....might be fun to try if you run open..Crazy Davey...

Hey Ian, I'll shoot some pic's and post them up.

Dave. I'll give the guys at Schoenfeld a call as well as my engine guy to get some input on collector length. I know I'll be using a ball/socket collector flange and the exhaust system will be a 3" all the way back. BTW I called Patrick at Prosystems and the carb is going to be built next week. Big blade baseplate/ small venturi design with downleg boosters. Will wet flow around 890 cfm. I ordered a Wilson 4 hole tapered spacer and Patrick agreed it would be a good thing.

Dave R

The part number is 166 ACM 3.

David

like I said Dave I'm sure there are lots of opinions on the collector thing but I also run with a guy that is a very serious NHRA A/SA guy and I know he has several different lengths that he uses.

I'm using a Wilson's Manifold 1 1/2" "open" spacer on mine, it's a very nice piece. That's a lotta carb but Patrick seems to know what he's doing so I'm sure it will work. Mine flows a true 986 and I love the thing, worth every penny.

Are you using a vendor 3" system or are you going to have it made??? Crazy Davey...