Building a Cold Air Setup

Take14theroad

I am starting to plan out a cold air/ram air setup for my car. I was planning to use 4 inch dryer flex tube from the parking light hole in the bumper to the air cleaner.

Has anybody made one of these?

I have seen kits in super chevy to do this, but I think building my own would be really fun.

Would 2 hoses be better than one?

Would this setup have an issue if I drove in the rain- I don't want to be pulling water into my engine?

thanks

Joe

Bill, 502CI has done it. Here is a link to his car domain page. Bills Monte

Joe, click on the link Mike provided...on page one is how I run it now. I purchased the fiberglass enclosure from Ram air box.com. I have the 4" openings that are 80 degrees apart. I also purchased their 4"x11" inlets that are mounted below my front bumper...see page 7.

I supplied my own 14"x6" filter and breathable lid and used my old 14" drop base. Normally you would use a 14"x4" filter and enclose it but I chose to be different.

I used 4" ducting (hose) that was used to be put over your exhaust in a garage so they could run a car indoors...I got it for free and it works great, it has some sort of vinyl or rubber coating on it and is quite durable.

If you want to go for the true homemade route check out the pictures I have on page 7, that is how I used to run it...I used my 14" Moroso lid and drop base and wrapped the perimeter with sheetmetal, cut two holes, found a filter that sat on the upper part of the base that sealed properly and walla...done. The problem with that set-up was the filter in my mind was too small so I eventually changed it.

Thanks guys

I am thinking of doing a very similar setup, but I am pretty sure I want to do 2 hoses. I started planning today, and I don't think through the parking lights will work well- there is no way to get there without cutting the inner fenders.

Did you guys notice a difference with the system?

I think I am going to try and build it all myself. I think it seems like a pretty easy and fun project.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to throw a picture up once I get it in!

Joe

Did you guys notice a difference with the system?

On a cool night I can notice a slight difference at part throttle (crisper acceleration) but overall at the race track I saw no difference in my quarter mile times.