Air cleaner to hood clearance?

Heff

Does anyone know, or could some one measure the clearance from the factory air cleaner to hood on a bb 402. I'm rebuilding my 402 and would like to run a factory cast iron high rise I have from a 68 396, but I'm not sure if every thing will clear?

chad I think you would be ok. Is the short block still in the car or out? If it's still in the you could lay the intake on the motor then use a straight edge go from fender to fender and messure down to the mounting point of the carb, this will give you the height for the carb and air cleaner. After you have the height put the air clean and carb together and use a framing square on top of the air clean and messure from the top of the air clean to the bottom of the carb. I run an aftermarket intake which is a hi-raise with a Holley 750 carb, then a air cleaner spacer so a stock q-jet air cleaner cleans the fuel bowls and the stokc hood closes.

Thanks Robert,

The info you gave me, and the picture in your post makes me think it will clear OK. The engine is out of the car, and I didn't think about using the other intake until it was too late to check. I want to build this engine with as much oomph as possible but maintain the all stock look.

I'm not sure if you were at Greensburg in 08 but thats how my motor was at the meet. I had to cut the hood pad out due to the air cleaner spacer but as long as you don't have one it will work and keep the hood pad in one piece. I do have a picture with the hood close showing how far the air cleaner sticks into the hood pad 042.jpg A stock carb and air cleaner should work fine, when I ran a Q-jet the air cleaner never hit the pad but now I'm running a Holley and the Q-jet air cleaner and the flat base does work to well.

Royce a stock Monte hood can bring a good chuck of change as they are disc. and the aftermarket don't carry them. Heck I have a stock one out behind the garage for a furture project once I get back on my feet.

my hoood is nothing that couldn't be undone with some work.

ChevySS.. that's where my head is hooded.. I just haven't had the time to finish the cosmetic part of the install.

obviously leaving the air cleaner open to the weather is not a good idea...

hood_side.jpg

Can't see cutting up good hoods. Not sure they are worth anything, but someday I might, repeat might get crazy and to back stock.

seeing as that I don't have $600 for a 'glass hood........