Have New Set-Up, Have an issue, Please Help

BigBlockMonte

a 950 would get you a little more top end potentially, but I would think a 750 would be fine too.

Jets only need to be adjusted to get the right air/fuel mixture, they aren't really used to tune for upper rpms vs. lower. If the carb is set up right, you will have good upper and lower rpms.

the cfm's aren't really a big deal if i jet the 750? i went to the comp camquest and inputted different cfm carbs. difference with my set up i got between the two was i lost 7hp and 3ft lbs torque.

if thats the case, then the 750 will stay on the car regardless of the mathematics saying the car should have an 850 or more on it.

Jetting and CFM are not things you can change to compensate for each other. Every carb will need to be tuned to get the right air to fuel ratio, regardless of CFM. Most 950s won't really flow 950 cfm, I think they actually flow around 850 or something, this is where people get all confused, and carb companies sort of suck. ANY of the carbs that have been talked about can be tuned to work just fine, including your 870. Have somebody knowlegable take that 870 apart and see what is wrong with it, or send it back.

If you didn't want to do the 750, I would get a 950 Holley which uses smaller venturi diameter than the 850 but a larger base plate.

Just my $0.02

i cant seem to find one of these that's vaccum secondary. I'm assuming I have to have vaccum secondary, because I'm automatic and the car is heavy. A little over 3800lbs with me in it. And I keep seeing mechanical is for light weight cars or manual cars.

I'm goin to see if my nieghbor and i can take apart the 870 and see if we see anything, I'm acutally hoping it something very obvious, so I can put it back on and see how it acts with it being right, i'm worried because it acted goofy from the first time i started the car.

okay, i had some time last night so I decided to take apart the 870 avenger. I took everything off and blew compressed air through every damn hole in it. Put it all back together, and readjusted the floats, and I'm sure what I did, but now its working correctly. Its not as snappy as the 750, but its performing as it should. I shouldn't have bad mouthed the carb just yet.

blush