Heater core & A/C Delete

Blake350

After a couple years of taking short cruises till the fingers go numb,its finally time to turn contortionist and deal with the core.I also want to complete the ac delete and install one of those small pan covers that I've seen on so many of our cars at the meets.Just want to get an overview of any things to watch out for from you guys that have already been in the thick of it...

a)The all brass core from autozone-a good choice,or is there a better one?

b)if theres a difference,which core do you go for in a 'used to have AC but not any more' 72?

c)where can one get the delete pan?

d)From previous posts,remove or not remove the dash pad?Seems its been done both ways-I need a bit of education as to which method is better.

e)I am just about reconciled to getting under there and carefully pulling the hoses and duct outlets to access the box,with a bottle of Advil nearby so I can stand back up later.

f)lastly,will want to preserve blower motor operation-can address this in elec. forum later,but please help with the 2 connectors(pass side front and side of case)as well as relay mounted to top of case-what can be capped and deleted,what needs to be spliced thru,what needs to stay,etc.

g)The biggest hurdle seems to be getting motivated to begin(its been a couple of years,and summer seems to come around again just in time)but not cruising on a beautiful clear(but COLD)day is getting me down!

Thanks for any help and encouragement you guys can give!! Brian

Hey Brian, hope to share a lil Johhny black w/ya at another meet! I went w/the parts place a/c delete panel. All you have to do is get some peel and stick weather strip adhesive and run it around the edges and stick it. The only mod u have to do is cut a hole for the heat sensor thingy. Steve did mine. I think I have some pics somewhere. Cleaned up real nice.. A/C is over rated. I also went w/ a Napa heater core. I think it was $50. You might as well replace the fan motor too, its only about $20. Good luck! Al

Al,thanks for that-I will contact parts place for the plate-and ,yes I have fond memories of at that trip as well(at least I remember most of it lol) We missed you at the GM Nats this year altho the NY faction was well represented as usual-get out there next year and refreshments are on me!!

I'm figuring if heater cores are anything like appliances and car batteries,there are only a few manufacturers under many brand names so most of them are equal.But since it is such a chore to extract,if anyone knows of one that has superior mat'ls or workmanship it is probably worth the extra cost.I guess you were happy with the Napa unit??

Once its all out hopefully I can get some input with regard to the electricals that need to remain.

Tim if at all possible you should try and come to Carlyle as well-if you remember Greenburg,next year should be a huge turnout if history is any guide...

Oh,Al remember- hands in lap,feet on mat, no sliding around on the seats-and no unicycle racing once refreshments are served -we want you and Rob to remain in one piece each...

Yes,thanks Allan-why didn't I think of that -AARP is already after me(I thought they had the wrong address till I checked a calendar-is it THAT late already!?)

So if by some miracle I'm still above the lawn grass 40 years from now,the second

one will be remembering where the car is,getting in and running the heat-even if the core is leaking,I'll never know!!

The parts are en route-wondering if the core is dust like the bottom third of the radiator was-i'm gonna try and make it nice,and maybe my kid will even help with some pictures-so you know it happened!!)

I figure just cut out the wiring till just before the blower motor stops working,then we're good to go!!