Monte doesn't like cold

LuckyKenny

Kenny.. any changes you make. MAke them one at a time.. and write down what you did.. if the changes make it worse, go back to where it was. and try again. if they make it better.. keep good notes.

running lean can cause detonation, burnt valves. quite a few different things. and with your exhaust you aren't likely to hear it pinging until it's really bad.

if it's severe enough (like going lean with nitrous) you can burn holes in your pistons..

if you are running lean enough to feel it in the cold.. that's not good.

the mixture screws only effect _IDLE_

if it's lean while driving.. you need to open the carb up and change the jets.

I'd suggest you buy a good book on the carb you have. .and read it.

even if you never actually open your carb up, the information will help you out.

Just drive it Kenny!

I remember when I was young I got to go out clean the snow off and start my parents cars and let them warm up. Every car started different. I bet that a lot of people that have driven nothing but fuel injected vehicles would have a hard time starting a sixties or seventies car that was a few years old.

I think playing with metering rods or jets for the short span of your 'Cold Season' would not be worth the effort.

Originally Posted By: Z204me
Cold? Are you for real...?

Come spend a week, or a day, or a weekday with us...right now it is a warm 35*F...the warmest that it has been in like 3 weeks...

Haha was that a cheech & chong qoute? haha

Yes...I was wondering if anybody was going to catch that...it is from their first movie...Up in Smoke...it is the scene where they are coming back to the U.S. from Mexico and the border guard is asking them how long they have been in Mexico.

Regarding Corpus Christi...I would much rather be there where I could drive my cars year round instead of this ice box here...where the driving season is 4 months if you are lucky. Also, the roads here are now "salted" with the bad stuff...just like they do in the Midwest...not that I drive the car during those months...but my other cars take a beating for it! Also, I don't mind the heat and/or humidity...when I was in the Marine Corps...I was stationed on the island of Okinawa and was also in the Philippines, and nothing here in the U.S. can compare...so yea...I can take it. At least in a warmer climate...I can do things with the car. Here...it sits in the garage from October to April and barely moves during those months. Usually, about the time that I put insurance back on it in May...there always seems to be a week or two of a freak snowstorm...so like I said...the driving season is 4 months if you are lucky.

Back to subject...

Kenny...the best advice that I can give you is to decide which carburetor you want to deal with and go buy a book or two on it. Last year at this time, I had purchased a brand new Holley Avenger 770 from a fellow club member...and I did not know ANYTHING about it. Anyway, I had decided that not knowing anything about Holley's my whole life...it was time to do something about that. So...I ordered 3 specific books on the Holley and 2 other books that covered engines/induction in general. I put the 770 on the car late last year and proceeded to slowly learn/tune it while it was on the car. That carburetor was on the car last summer when we drove it to the Western Meet and ended up driving more than 2,000 miles during our vacation. Anyway...I now am no longer intimidated by it. In the meantime, I also bought some kits for the Holley so that I have full flexibility with tuning it. Keep in mind - you can do this with any brand/type of carburetor that is out there - YOU can tune any Holley, Edelbrock, Predator, Rochester, etc. if you take a little time to learn it. As of now, I still have a little more to learn, but I am now to the point that I am looking into purchasing a wideband system so that I can further tune this car.

Also...what a few others have already said...it might not be worth your time to "tune" the car for this "cold" spell until you feel more comfortable with it. Also...like already mentioned...do only ONE change at a time. Ask me how I know this...I got too "excited" a few times...and the car ran worse because I tried to 2nd guess that Holley! Regarding your "cold" spell...how long is it cold where you live? A month, a few weeks, what? Back to my original point...you might want to invest some time and learn about the carburetor first, then you can confidently tune it to your heart's content.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks guys

It warmed up today into the 70's and the car ran really good.

I dropped the idle down last night and it made the car actfunny

I don't know if it's my tranny or the engnine but it's doing weird things.

I gunned it at about 30 and it just gunned it so the tranny downshifted, when i got to about 60 or so i felt the car get power then loose power then it buckled. as soon as i let off the gas it was fine but i don't think that's ever happened before.

I just filled it up and it was pretty low, maybe fuel filter is past it's prime? It has a clear one about the size of a golfball on one of the lines.

It's kind of dirty and it isn't full of fuel most of the time.

But ever sinse i did a transmission fluid "transfusion" with my friend and his dad the car has been acting different. I poured in new tranny fluid with the old coffie colored substance went into a 5gal bucket.

HELP! lol