Vacuum advance on high c/r BBC

72 LS5

I know this topic has been touched on before.

But specifically on a high compression Big Block, is anybody running vacuum advance?

I always ran it on 454, but it only was a 9 to 1 motor. That extra advance really gave it responsive part-throttle acceleration. With the 10.6 to 1 502, I'm not sure if there will be harmful detonation that may not be detectable. All my mechanical advance is in by 2800 rpms. Chevy recommends no vacuum advance on this motor - so that probably answers my question. Just curious what others are doing. Was there vacuum advance on the old 11 to 1 solid lifer 427s and 454s of the late 60's early 70s?

I'd hardly call 10.6:1 "high compression". I would run it. Just keep it to 10 degrees and have it come off at a higher vacuum if your worried about it. Lot's of places have 93 octane, another thing to help you sleep at night.

Yes I would run it also, get an adjustable advance can so you can limit the advance if you run into ping.

I run one on mine for cruising, and I am at 11.4 to 1.