Opinions of the 396

dsgmach007

Looking to get a bigger engine. I have a 350 with minor mods now(cam, runners, lifters, etc) is it worth it to get a 396 like this:

rebuilt 396 .030 over steel crank forged pistons, edelbrock RPM cam and lifters and polished RPM airgap intake, fabricated polished aluminum valve covers and orange powder coated oil pan .

closed chambered oval port heads with some port and polishing done, Great motor!! block castings are 3902406 which makes it a 396 produced in 1967 and in an ss chevelle.

Or hold out for a 454?

There is nothing wrong with a 396 or a 402(396 bored 30 over). Depending on the engine suffix code it could range from 325hp to 375hp in stock form. The only key items would would need to buy that you cant use from the small block is the headers, and the water pumper. $2500 doesn't sound to bad how many miles are on the motor and what is the hp and tq?

It depends on what your goals are with the car. If you just want a cruiser/show car, than the 396 would be fine. If it's a street/strip car and you want some good power than I would definitely go with a 454. The reason being is that there is many 454 combos you could copy without doing any guessing on what you'll have. Either way BBC's are cool!

Cruiser and that's it I'd say go for it. If you have any other performance goals for down the road I'd pass on it and save your money and buy a crate motor from a reputable dealer down the road. Everyone want's to build their own engine from the ground up, but in todays world you can't build an engine for the same price as a crate motor and you get a warranty to boot. With all the headaches I've had getting my engine the way I wanted it I wish I'd have bought a Shafiroff 598 crate motor. Awesome engine, awesome reputation, awesome warranty, and put's out more power than I have for the same money I've spent.

One of my best buddy's has a 69 Chevelle with stick. He started with a mild 396, then went to a mild 454 and he cannot believe the difference. The 454 has so much more usable power especially in the low and mid ranges. And they weigh about the same!

If you do stumble on a 454, it might be cheaper buying a stroker crank than getting the original turned. Then you'd have a 496 and be 100 cubes ahead of the game!