72 350 cam selection

RCPeters

I have a 72 350 175hp . I am going through this motor lightly. I had the heads cleaned up and stock springs installed. Valves look good (I am told). I am going back with stock intake carb 4QJ and crank. I would like to select a Cam that will bring some good low end torch. I am looking for it to be a driver. I am really not clear how to select the correct cam. Any help would be appreciated.

You just looking for pure performance? Or you also looking to get that lopey sound too???

You don't really need a huge lopey cam to make great power... but if you want the sound - it narrows your selections.

Go to 1:18 in this video to hear what I am talking about:

People in 350 Chevy Small block forums I browse seem to like the Edlebrock stuff... but I have no personal experience to say if they are good or not

I wish I knew what cam the guy that owned my Monte before put in my 72 350... it has HUGE low end power, an amazing lopey sound that makes people think "wow - what is in there!?" but gets really damn good fuel efficiency (considering).

Some day... I'd like to know what is inside my engine.

Thanks for the video. I do like the sound . I am not sure what the stock 350 can handle as I am not pulling apart the block and stock heads. I would like to get as much low end power as I can with some lopey sound that will not overburden the "old " stuff in the engine!

Thanks for the help.

Call the cam manufacturers. Have all the info on your car, engine, compression, trans, rear gear. The can get you into the ball park. Call at least three.