January 1969: Early Monte Carlo Program Info

Guest knightfan2691
Many of us know that the Monte Carlo program was given the green light in early 1968, and a name that was being considered for the new model during the development stage was "Concours". Well, while looking through the vintage Popular Science last night, I came across some more historical Monte Carlo information. Right there on page 48 at the top of the "Detroit Report" column by Jim Dunne, the detroit editor, a highlighted yellow block contains the following...

"WATCH FOR A NEW CHEVROLET LINE to compete with the Ford Thunderbird for 1970. As yet unnamed, the new car will share GM's G-body shell with Pontiac's Grand Prix. Insiders say one name under consideration is "Chaparral," the same as Jim Hall's Chevrolet-powered racing cars. Front styling will resemble the Chevelle's, but the grille has richer-looking, heavier bars, and a new larger bumper has built-in, round parking lights. Wheelbase will be about 118 inches."

This was the first time I'd ever read anywhere another actual name (other than "Concours") that was being considered for our cars! I guess it was ultimately decided that "Concours" was a little too stuffy for a 2-door sport coupe with a semi-fastback roofline and rally car-inspired fender bulges, and that "Chaparral" was too all-out racy. "Monte Carlo" kind of crossed the bridge between the two, and was deemed to be just right.

But just think; if the name "Concours" or "Chaparral" had been used instead of "Monte Carlo", this great club would today be known as the FGCC, and the NMCOA would be known as the NCOA. So, just smile and wave when someone mistakenly says, "Nice Chevelle!", as you drive by in your first generation Chevrolet "Chaparral".

(and)

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs
here is the article.. "popular science"

books.png

Ohhh...how COOL!

Very glad they didn't go with the "Chap" name. I would've been OK with Concours, but Monte Carlo just sounds so much ... nicer.

Originally Posted By: Paul Bell
"Chaparral" would have been keeping with the practice of all Chevrolet model names starting with a "C".

Uh, no. Impala was used LONG before the even started THINKING about the Monte Carlo.........................

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Didn't I tell you?" __ Colbie Caillat __ 'Realize'

Going through my '70's owners manual. I thought it was pretty cool reading the instructions on how to open the convert top. Where the switch is located on the dash. And all the other cool stuff that is in the manual. I did this when I got kicked out of the house and sat in the garage for a few hours or 5or6 hours. Oh, and the front bench does not make a very good bed. frown

Going through my '70's owners manual. I thought it was pretty cool reading the instructions on how to open the convert top. Where the switch is located on the dash. And all the other cool stuff that is in the manual. I did this when I got kicked out of the house and sat in the garage for a few hours or 5or6 hours. Oh, and the front bench does not make a very good bed. frown
I liked in my '72's manual where it told me to accelerate from 55mph to 70mph to complete a pass. I always swore I'd open it and show the officer the instructions if I ever got pulled over, but I (thankfully) never got the chance... in that car.