Tall valve cover ?? BBC Monte

MonteNH

I am putting in a 454 within the next few weeks in my 72 Monte. I bought fabricated aluminum Valve covers and I heard they might not clear my facotroy Brake Booster. Is that the case and if so whats the solution ? Smaller brake booster ? If so can anyone recommend one ?

If they are tall valve covers they will not clear your factory 11" brake booster. You can go with a smaller booster, switch to hydroboost, or buy tall marine valve covers designed for center rise exhaust manifolds. They have a slant to them that will clear your brake booster. They all come from China, but are decent quality. I'd steer clear of polished ones as as soon as you try and polish them you will work your butt off to try and get them to shine back up. I'm having a new set powder coated for that very reason. Hope that helped.

are you looking for taller valve covers due to roller rocker arms?

Nope , just because I like the ones I ordered best. I was told that there was a valve cover gasket thats extra thick that would work with short valve covers but its not the way I want to go.

I found a nice 7" Brake booster that they say fits the car so Im thinking of going that route.

its an 83 trans am booster that is set up for 4wheel disc. Those style of covers on my motor also come slanted to clear a stock booster, the down side is they do not have the drippers on the under side of the cover but they do clear my roller rockers. I picked them up for $89 at ss396.com(ground up).

Hey Phil, What was wrong with the Factory Chrome ones'.?? I have no problems with mine and they have the Factory drippers inside them too and clear my booster on the 454....

Darren.

Hey Darren , That is one beautiful car you have there. I didnt have valve covers when I bought my Motor , the ones I ordered were tall. Then after I got them I read that tall covers might not clear the brake booster ( go figure ).....Here I am now trying to figure it all out...lol