Different Rearends

ThirdMC

How many different 10 bolt rearends came in the FGMC? Is it just a mixture of 8.5 and 8.2? Too much rust on my axle tubes to find the code but according to my build sheet I have the GS1 2:73 ratio axle. Engine (*L65 350 CID 2-BBL) Transmission (=M38 3 SPD CBC)

I can decipher some of this but don't know what all of it means for sure.

I would like to put a little lower gears in it eventually and would like to know exactly what type/kind to order.

8.5" 10 bolt or 12 bolt are the most desirable if you are making some good power and going to make a few track runs with slicks. With your motor and it sounds like you just want to wake it up some for a little more fun on the street you're fine just getting some gears and a posi with the 8.2" that is most likely in your Monte. At least my 10 bolt is the 8.2" in my 1972. A recommendation for gears would be richmond or motive, I have had success with both. On the chevelle board it sounds like many are having good luck with yukon stuff as well.

I had a 70 Monte that had a BOP 10 bolt they have athe scallops on both sides of the center section where the axle tubes are. Early 8.2 Chevys had a cover like a 12 bolt chevy. The later 8.2 and 8.5 chevy is very similar. The best way to be sure is to pull the cover and measure it and look for a part number on the ring gear. Try this site to see if it helps BOP link Here is a pic of a BOP 12 bolt

12boltOldsrearend.jpg

A little more info:

Rearend code: CGC 173 2

(2.73 Gears, Built in Buffalo on the 173rd day of the year, 2nd shift,No Posi)

It has bolts and straps instead of u-bolts holding the yoke.

It has what looks like E 111 or something like that stamped on the lower right side of the housing.

As I mentioned before it doesn't have the lugs below the cover like the photo of the 8.5. What it does have is two small nothches in the housing at about the 5 & 7 o'clock positions.

About where the 'lugs' are on the 8.5.

Yes Sir, the axle tubes taper a little about 1/4 - 1/2 inch before it meets the backing plates.

Then I would say that is the chevy 8.5". That rearend is good rearend to put money into. Not worth trying to find a 12 bolt.