VACUUM PUMP

71 MONTE 4 YA

Will this work for brakes. It is from Hella Part number 95602. I am just thinking of buying it just in case I need it when I do my cam. It says it's designed to supplement diesel and gas engines in controlling heating and cooling functions as well as door locks, cruise controls, and any other functions control by vacuum. Internal switch turns motor off when the vacuum reaches a maximum of 15 inches of mercury. When vacuum is reduced to a minimum of 11 +2 or -0 inches of mercury switch will reactivate motor to increase vacuum. Anyone with knowledge about this please chime away here. Thanks..... Rodney

vacuumpump.jpg

Geez, I dunno... I'd be a little scared if the pump literature doesn't mention brakes. I did a quick browse and it seems that most of the vacuum pumps listed for brake use pull 20 inches of vacuum and look like pretty heavy-duty units.

The problem with brake boosters is that they need a decent VOLUME of vacuum to function. (just look at how big the hose is going to your brakes compared to the hoses for distributor and AC controls). That pump may take a minute to pull enough for the brakes to work properly... the first time you hit the brakes it might feel fine, but how about the second time? You don't want to be standing on the brakes waiting for the pump to catch up.

I guess it's like comparing it to a cigarette-lighter powered air compressor: the compressor might be rated for 200 psi, but they forget to tell you that it takes 35 minutes to inflate a tire.

At this point I guess research is fine, but really you don't even know if it's needed. I'd try using a vacuum pump only as a last resort.

If you would like to by a REAL pump I have the following.

SSBC Electric Vacuum Pump Kit Only 6 months old - $195 + shipping

Features

•The SSBC Electric Vacuum Pump Kit generates the vacuum needed to operate your vehicle's power brake booster

•The electric vacuum pump kicks in when engine vacuum is too low--common in high-performance and supercharged engines

•Kit includes 12 volt vacuum pump, switching relay, vacuum line and control, mounting insulators and all required hardware

•Pump measures approximately 8" L x 5" W x 7" H

•SSBC has specialized in high-performance brakes since 1976

Description

If your vehicle's been upgraded with disc brakes and a gnarly high-performance motor, it may have a hard time generating enough vacuum to operate the power brake booster. And, less vacuum to the booster can result in poor braking which makes for a wild ride and a potentially dangerous situation.

To operate properly, a power brake booster needs at least 16 inches of vacuum at engine idle. If the vacuum drops below 16 inches, the booster looses power and seriously affects braking performance. With the SSBC Electric Vacuum Pump Kit, your power booster always has enough vacuum to deliver maximum braking power.

The pump mounts inline between your vehicle's intake manifold and power brake booster. It works on 12 volt power and the kit includes everything you need--pump, switching relay, vacuum line and mounting insulators

Hey Rodney,

I can't remember your cam spec's but in my old 385 was a hydraulic flat tappet and IIRC the specs were .520 something on the lift and 230 deg of duration @ .050 on the intake and the exhaust may have had a little less lift and more duration on the exhaust side. Anywho it worked fine with my stock booster/brake system. Make sure you have enough initial timing and your carb is tuned to pull the most vacuum at idle. I think you will be fine.

I'm still running my stock brake system with the new engine and I feel comfortable on the street and track. It builds enough vacuum on the street to stop just fine. If the car is stopped long enough the pedal will get a little hard but not bad. It idles @ 1100 rpm in gear. At the track it works well enough to haul my barge down so I can make the first turn off. The engine has a bunch of cam for a street car but i run my timing locked out @ 34 deg and the carb is really dialed in.

David

Hey Rodney,

I can't remember your cam spec's but in my old 385 was a hydraulic flat tappet and IIRC the specs were .520 something on the lift and 230 deg of duration @ .050 on the intake and the exhaust may have had a little less lift and more duration on the exhaust side. Anywho it worked fine with my stock booster/brake system. Make sure you have enough initial timing and your carb is tuned to pull the most vacuum at idle. I think you will be fine.

I'm still running my stock brake system with the new engine and I feel comfortable on the street and track. It builds enough vacuum on the street to stop just fine. If the car is stopped long enough the pedal will get a little hard but not bad. It idles @ 1100 rpm in gear. At the track it works well enough to haul my barge down so I can make the first turn off. The engine has a bunch of cam for a street car but i run my timing locked out @ 34 deg and the carb is really dialed in.

David

The duration is Int 235 Ext 249 @50 and the lift is Int 489 Ext 476 Lsa 107. I took much needed advice and passed on the pump for now. I might just get a Vacuum reservoir later if I need it. Thanks All.... Rodney