TPI Install

Well i just aquired a complete TPI set up, and i am thinking of putting it on either my Monte or Lisa's when it gets here. What all is involved? I have the entire system all wiring, sensors, computer, and distributor.

------------------

We who are truly brave will never live in fear...The Rock

1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

Which size engine is it from?

You might have to change the injectors...

Good luck, stuff like this can drive you crazy (I have seen it!)...

------------------

71 Monte 383 (soon 454 HO) "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS ZZ4 "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.gif

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

It is from a 305 so i figured if i do this swap that i would have to get larger injectors, maybe 22# ones? I have read that the stock 305 will work if you up the fuel pressure, but i figure if i do it i want to do it right the first time around. I know i have to install an electric fuel pump, and a return fuel line, but what else if anything?

------------------

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

If it is from a 305, you will prolly have to get a chip for your computer adapted to a larger V8 engine...

I guess you also gotta weld the O2 sensor into the exhaust somewhere. Also, I am not sure which type of distributor you will have to use. An old points type will most certainly not cut it...

[This message has been edited by Andreas (edited 05-10-2002).]

I completely forgot about the 02 sensor, perhaps in the H-pipe? As for the distributor right now i run an HEI, but the system i have came with the stock distributor so i am good to go there smile.gif I get conflicting views about the chip on all of the Camaro sites, some say it is fine others say it needs a new one. Guess with that i just have to find some people who have actually installed it, and find out how they did it.

------------------

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

The O2 sensor should be as close to engine as possible. Best would be the 3" collector of the header...

Does it matter that the 02 sensor would only be getting a reading from one side? That was why i was thinking in the H-pipe. But yes you are correct it needs to be as close as possible.

------------------

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

Me and my freind put a 305 in his S-10 and we kept the A/C and computer and all we used throtle body injection although he has a tpi setup one of the tubes are bent...... It can be very agervating especily when you try to time the motor the computer is allways screwing up your timing..... The computer he used was for a 350 and so was the throtle body and he did not get good results the map sensor could be unpluged and it would run fine but his gas millige went to crap like that and it did not have any hi end power. bottom line its alot of work and I suggest you get a computer to diag the comp in the car we had one and it helped us figure alot of things out that we were having alot of problems with. Dont know if this will help you at all but its just my .02

------------------

http://home.earthlink.net/~fadams6969/index.html

Check out www.thirdgen.org ask some questions in the tpi forum or search for it, theres alot of talk about it there. Is it speed density or mass air flow? I did a engine swap on my 92 camaro from a 305 to a 355 all I switched was the injectors to 24s and the chip to a stock 350 chip. You can go with a 6AL ignition system or something similar. You also have to have the prom/chip custom burned to get rid of the VATS system and top speed limiter. The tpi systems are different through the years so some parts are not interchangable. Also I believe the motor has to be the newer style centerbolt engines. Not 100% sure but I dont think the intake will bolt right up to a older engine. THere is also a forum on chips/proms. What year and type of tpi system and what size and year motor are you putting it on? You can mount the o2 sensor on either side, doesnt matter as long as it keeps the computer happy. Some tpi's came with dual o2 sensors, check the harness. You shouldnt have a real big problem installing it, just getting everything hooked up and running.

------------------

92 Camaro custom 25th anniversary, 355 TPI

87 Olds Cutlass Supreme 350 Rocket

67 Pontiac Catalina 400

71 Monte Carlo 350 black, black top, white interior

71 monte carlo 350 blue, blue interior

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OH MAN . . . . .

I have put a TPI from a 305 Camaro in my 71 Monty. Let me tell you it was and is a time consuming project. But I would love to tell you my story ! I ordered the Accel DFI system from Jegs. The system is adjustable, everything is adjustable. I can view my engine stats like temp, rpm, volts from my laptop. Anyway, some important things I have beeb told. If you keep the stock manifold your system motor will be restricted to 350hp. As far as camshafts go think small. I would try and build the motor like a Camaro or Corvette and only try to get gas mileage not lots of power, unless you want to spend ALOT of money. Injector size is dependent upon the power you intend to produce. I have 30 ld injectors. I recommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I put block hugger headers on with the O2 sensor on the passanger side right before the collector. I took the sending unit out of the gas tank replaced the sock and drilled a hole and added the return line. You will need an electric fuel pump mounted as close to the tank as you can. I used steel line from the pump to the engine compartment, then I had some hydraulic hoses made at the right length to connect to the fuel rail. I built a plate to block off the sensor in between the runners on the manifold. You will want the shortest vaccuum line possible running from the back vaccuum port on the passanger side of the plenum.

Well, I could go on for pages! ! ! I would love to give you all the help I can. If you would like call me at (913)-515-0152 preferably after 8pm central time, or email me at jap777@hotmail.com