fuel systems

monte70car

I'm thinking about pulling the EFI system off so I can take the car to one show this year with the new hood. My question is can I run my fuel injection fuel pump with return style regulator or would it be best to switch back over to the other elec pump and the dead head regulator? Now as for the carb I have my choice of between 2 750 vacuum secondary Holley's one has a metering block for the secondary side and the other has the plate. My third choice is a 750 q-jet with a hot air choke. Then once the season if over play with EFI some more.

Well tomorrow I will start taking the injection off and sit it on the cabinet until Oct. then I will revisit the system. Out of the choices I have I will be bolting the Q-jet on the intake. I will be keeping the regulator with the return line. My question is what would be a good fuel psi for a Q-jet I know Holley's should be at 7psi would the Q-jet be in the same ballpark?

Well I got the Q-jet mounted today and plumbing done some what, but I have to pull the EFI as I can get the psi turn down low enough so I will be losing the return line style reg. as I used my other elec. fuel pump ends for the reg. So it looks like another two hours of work to get everything put back together.

I stopped at auto zone on my way home this afternoon and picked up a Mr. gasket elec. pump. Either the Mr. gasket pump puts out just enough psi or the liquid filled psi gauge wont pick up low numbers but the car fired right up still got to hook the hot air choke back up. Other then that it started alot faster then the efi did and the is no popping when the rpm's are brought up until 4,000 rpm's which could be to not enough fuel or maybe so tuning on the mixture screw.

Since I could not find all the parts I needed for the Q-jet to make the 700r4 work right, I went to the old standby a 750cfm Holley. The Mr. Gasket pump does not put out enough psi 4# max, so that got pulled and the org. summit elec. fuel pump went back on. The fuel pis is set at 7# but there is a dead spot away 3200 rpm's mixture screws are turned out about 2.5 turns now idle is 1,000rpm when in park and drops down to 900rpm's when in overdrive base timing is set at 16° with a total of 34° in by 3400rpm's not sure what the plugs look like but I will check that in the morning and give the tv cable a little more as you can't tell its in gear.