Manual Steering Gear Box Question

Does anyone know what manual steering gear box will swap into a '71 Monte without any mods? I know some or all manual steering gear boxes come with 3 bolts pattern and not 4 bolt pattern like the power steering gear boxes. Is that true? I want to convert mine to manual steering.

Fred

You might wanna ask Tom Reina at www.corvettesteering.com

------------------

71 Monte 454 HO "FULMNTE"

86 Monte LS "The Gray Mouse" FOR SALE!

Andreas' Monte Carlo Site

Member NMCOA, FGMCC (Event Coordinator)

------------------------------------------

Sig.gif

------------------------------------------

"It ain't a car if it's not a Monte"

montesmile.jpg

Is this a even swap? Any modifications I need to know about? Is that a 20:1 ratio or 26:1? Or is it possible to order either.

Fred

It's not exactly an even swap. The shaft comming out of the S10 box to the steering wheel is smaller than the shaft from the old monte box. I ran the bolt down on that clamp with my impact wrench just to make sure. Then just to be absolutly sure I gave it a little tack weld. If you get your S10 box from a junk yard you could get the coupler with the smaller clamp on it as well.

There are some issues. The clamp on the steering coupler does not fit the shaft on the S10 box because the S10 box shaft is smaller. I ran mine down tight with an impact wrench then gave it a tack weld just to be safe.

Ben