Fuel Pump Lines?

meddac

I'm wanting to put a fuel filter off my stock fuel pump as changing the inside the carb line filter is a hassle. My fuel pump has three lines...one to the carb...one from the tank and the return line. Is the smaller line the return line? It's a stock 454. Thanks

There is a rubber hose where the fuel pump connects with the feed line going to the tank: you can simply cut the hose there and splice it back together with an in-line filter. I have one in this location and it works fine, plus it keeps crud out of your fuel pump also. At least it didn't require hacking away at the metal lines going up to the carb.

I agree: that filter in the carb inlet is a pain, and is one of the Q-jets' weak spots. It's quite common to destroy the threads in the carb body and get fuel leaks in that area. I removed my carb filter entirely and never have to go there again. If you don't feel secure about having NO filter there, make sure you use the pleated paper type instead of the sintered bronze type.