Chrome and your privacy.

FastClass

Since a previous thread brought the usage of the Google Chrome browser up, thought I would pass this info along. I`m sure most are`t aware. Perhaps some won`t care.

But worth a read IMHO.

Taken in part from the article.

Tweaking Your Personal Freedom & Privacy in Google Chrome

Quote:
One should realize that maybe Google Chrome’s policy is not good at all when you realize:

*If you use Google Chrome, Google will know every URL you type into the location bar.

*Google will know (almost) every partial URL you type into the location bar.

*Moreover, they will know every word or phrase you type into the location bar, even if you type it and then delete it before pressing enter.

*They will also know every word or phrase you type into the location bar, even if you type it and then delete it before pressing enter.

*All this information can be linked with your main Google account, because Google sends your cookie along with every automatic search it performs from the location bar.

Entire article here.

I pretty much assume anything I do online is viewable by someone somewhere, I just figure as long as Im not investigating anything too ridiculous they wont come banging on my door grin

What about the "InCognito" setting? Im sure thats still traceable by someone with more skills than me anyway

When you surf, with any browser, some form history of where you`v been is kept on your PC. The incognito mode deletes that history from your PC. It does nothing to eliminate any tracking of you by "who ever" while you were inline.

Your right. Someone, somewhere does track you. To an extent it is necessary. But what information they collect varies.

Since 9/11 all ISP`s are required to keep records for I believe 6 months. Normally they consist of only sites visited.

But, unless the records are needed for legal matters, they are never seen and discarded after that time period.

Have also been told by the Admin of another site that they are now mandated by law to keep records of PM`s, chat`s, etc. in case of instances of sexual harassment, threats of violence, and other things outside the norm.

In this age of the Internet information harvesting = big $$$$.

That is the commercial aspect. Targeted advertising and SPAM in your inbox are only part of it.

Did`t you ever wonder why certain ad`s are on your screen. Chances are they are different then the one`s seen by someone in the same area but with different interests and surfing habits.