dart, patriot, or edlebrock.

Tom Carter

I have been debating for a few months now about changing my stock cast heads to aluminum 202 heads. The more is think about it the harder the decision. I do like the eldlebrock rpm performer intake and I plan to change my cam from an rpm to an rpm performer. My intention was to go with the edlebrock polished rpm performer 202 heads. Because they are sharp looking, they will match the intake and cam, and because they come complete. I was looking through the Jegs catalog the other day and found patriot and dart heads for a fraction of the cost. I am worried that if I go with a less expencive head that I will regret the decision when I start installing everything. I am not the most knowledgable about these things because I am very inexperienced when it comes to engine work.

PLEASE HELP...

any advise would be appreciated

Thanks guys.

If Canfield was still in business I would highly suggest them but, since their not,.....I have to agree with Justin, AFR is tough to beat. If and when I buy new heads for anything, it will be AFR. - Dave

There are some good heads out there, Patriot are not the most reliable. I have heard from a lot of people that the parts used in the assembled heads are not the best. AFR, Dart, Profiler, Brodix and even Edelbrock have potential.

What type of performance level are you looking for? Are you planning a cam swap? Are your pistons flat top, or dished. Is the bottom end stock?

I loved my big block eddy 290 cc heads, but went with AFRs for more power. Steve ended up with the eddys and he seems to have had good luck with them.

I guess this is a little long winded. Tell us your goals and a bunch of us will give you ideas

I was under the impression I could get better than 375 hp from a stock bottom 350 sbc. using the Edelbrock performer rpm cam, intake, and 202 heads. Of course using the 750 Edelbrock carb. I would be fine with that...I still like the fuel milage I get right now but I have the fever for more power. The block is a 71 small block 350 and it runs great now...I just want to enhance the performance. Eventually I want to change the rear end gears are go with a 700r4 overdrive...that is down the road though. Still working with a budget. There is a performer cam in it now but I plan to switch to the performer rpm.

Thanks for the help.

There is about 60,000 miles on the engine. I took the heads off around 30,000 and changed the head gaskets, cam, intake, distributor, and carborator. Installed a new double roller timing chain, fuel pump and high volume oil pump. Then engine still runs very well I just want more.

I found this from back in 96 when I was running the stock 350 block. It did around 280 hp at the wheels, ran 13.5 in the 1/4. The combo was: Stock bottom end, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 180cc heads, Performer RPM intake and Edelbrock 600 carb. The cam with a Lunati Bracket master 2 cam, either the .460 lift or .480 lift one, I just can't remember anymore. The RPM cam would compare more to the bigger of the two. If you change the cam, I would use something other than the RPM cam.

Stick with a small runner head, keep the compression reasonable, put in an off the shelf Comp or Lunati cam and have fun. For what you are trying to do, most any aftermarket aluminum head will be just fine.