Differential Confusion

MGD72Monte

I'm looking for a differential overhaul kit for the Monte. I have a 10 bolt with a GC stamp on the axle which should be a non-locking 2.73 according to the book. Socket for the pinion nut is 1 1/8".

All the info on line on kits available from Timken and SKF and phone calls to three different parts places Linky - Autozone suggest the 72 Monte came with 8.5" ring gear. There are no listings for an 8.2" gear but according to a previous post Linky if the pinion nut is 1 1/8" and the casing has no ears, I should have a 8.2". What gives? confused

836-83-1022-M is the part number for the Richmond Gear "mega kit" for the 8.2" 10 bolt from Jegs. It contains shims, bearings, seals and new bolts for the ring gear. Not sure what an "overhaul kit" contains but I would assume it would be new bearings, seals, and shims (Although why you would need shims if not installing a new differential is beyond me) I just went through the same thing as well, but upgraded to a limited slip differential.

Thanks, great info, I was able to find it on their site, now I just have to figure out how to get it across the border without having the price double on me eek.

It is certainly odd that I was not able to find this on other parts sites.

I think it is because you are trying to overhaul an open differential and I have never heard of that. The posi units are rebuildable and I have a book detailing the process for both factory posi units and aftermarket units. Be sure to inspect the teeth closely on both the ring and pinion gears and be mindful of where the shims are when you take everything apart so you can put them back in the proper place. Good luck!

Thanks, great info, I was able to find it on their site, now I just have to figure out how to get it across the border without having the price double on me eek.

It is certainly odd that I was not able to find this on other parts sites.

Not sure where you are in Ont. but im only about an hour or so from thousand islands area I could meet you on our side of the border somewhere (they wont let me into canada) havent got my passport or enhancened lic yet just a thought.

Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind. I have a brother in the US, I'm looking to see if he can bring it up for me at Christmas. If I play my cards right I'm thinking he might even be inclined to give it to me as a present whistle.