Issues with 200-4R...

cbolt

Long story short.. I bought a trans online from a reputable trans place. After approx. 500 miles I lost reverse and every gear, including park, is forward. (It goes into park but if you hit the gas the car lurches forward anyway) Called said trans place on the phone and they informed me because it is a column shift car I have the shifter set up wrong, causing a clip to either break or come off on the valve body and they will not honor my warantee. When I put the linkage together I moved their shift lever to the park position and attached my linkage with the column lever in park. They acknowledge there is a detent inside the transmission when it gets to the park position (I couldn't move it further than park by hand from underneath). Has anyone ever heard of this before? If so, is it possible I actually had an adjustment to make to prevent this failure? (Yes, that is the short version) mad

Jim , I cant say how the 200 is built internally , I havent been inside one . So it could be possible that something is broke from the linkage .

The column shift detent (in the column) may be slightly different. Also the original crosshaft will not move the tranny shift valve the correct amount of travel . The overdrive crosshaft has the down rod moved farther off center (to rotate more degrees) . The stock crosshaft should have only prevented you from putting the trans into first if adjusted to have P . You should have had P,R,N,OD,3,2 . IF you adjusted to get 1st then you may not have had P .

If you have local U-Pullit or such pick up a crosshaft for an 80s Caprice/Impala with a 700R4 or a P/U with a 700R4. I think either will fit the Monte . I think lots of G body came with the 200 4r . I believe that shaft might work for you as well .

Have you pulled the pan ? Look at the shift input shaft and see if the nut holding the detent is tight (inside the trans ). It may be loose and the detent plate is slipping on the shaft double D mount .This is my thoughts based on how the 700 is built.

You might see somthing simple for the price of a gasket and oil . Nothing to loose if the warranty is crap already .

Sorry to hear you having issues . I hope its a simple fix .

If you shift from P to Odr (car off) then get underneath the car and seperate the shift rod from the trans shift bracket/lever.Then shift the lever manually from 1st to Odr.The shift rod should slip into the trans shift bracket easily.If not that is your problem.

The 200R is actually stronger then a 700 when built properly.Many GN guys are going 9s with them.Only certain shops are capable of building them properly.One of the best is RPM in Anderson IN.Great guys and excellent back up.

Good luck.

If you shift from P to Odr (car off) then get underneath the car and seperate the shift rod from the trans shift bracket/lever.Then shift the lever manually from 1st to Odr.The shift rod should slip into the trans shift bracket easily.If not that is your problem.

The 200R is actually stronger then a 700 when built properly.Many GN guys are going 9s with them.Only certain shops are capable of building them properly.One of the best is RPM in Anderson IN.Great guys and excellent back up.

Good luck.

What would it indicate if the shaft and bracket do not line up?

Jim , I cant say how the 200 is built internally , I havent been inside one . So it could be possible that something is broke from the linkage .

The column shift detent (in the column) may be slightly different. Also the original crosshaft will not move the tranny shift valve the correct amount of travel . The overdrive crosshaft has the down rod moved farther off center (to rotate more degrees) . The stock crosshaft should have only prevented you from putting the trans into first if adjusted to have P . You should have had P,R,N,OD,3,2 . IF you adjusted to get 1st then you may not have had P .

If you have local U-Pullit or such pick up a crosshaft for an 80s Caprice/Impala with a 700R4 or a P/U with a 700R4. I think either will fit the Monte . I think lots of G body came with the 200 4r . I believe that shaft might work for you as well .

Have you pulled the pan ? Look at the shift input shaft and see if the nut holding the detent is tight (inside the trans ). It may be loose and the detent plate is slipping on the shaft double D mount .This is my thoughts based on how the 700 is built.

You might see somthing simple for the price of a gasket and oil . Nothing to loose if the warranty is crap already .

Sorry to hear you having issues . I hope its a simple fix .

I hope it is a simple fix as well. I adjusted it to P, since I doubt I will use 1, at least until I install my console and shifter. The place where I purchased the trans insisted I did something wrong in the installation and I had to have the car taken to a shop to confirm either their mistake or mine. The owner of the trans shop was a total jerk on the phone, talking over me and not able to control himself once I mentioned it was under warantee. Thanks for the info on the cross shaft (I assume you are describing the one that rotates at the frame and in the trans bracket). I will look into that next week, when I have time.

Imagine you are driving along in Odr and then you moved the shifter just a bit so it was not all the way into 3rd.Say somwhere in between 3rd and Odr.I'm just speculating.I don't know what affect it would have on the trans.I would get the car to a local trans shop who has a good reputation.They could pull the pan and maybe tell you what happened without pulling the trans.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Blue502

Good luck.

What would it indicate if the shaft and bracket do not line up?

I had a 200-4r in my '70 for years, it was column shifted & I had all gears, manually selecting 1st gear was a lil bit tricky, I could just barely get it with the column shifter, never had any other problems with the stock 350 shifter setup.

The detent inside the transmission is what selects the gears, the shifter just moves the detent...I find it hard to believe it could go in between two gears.....I have had mine apart several times, I stopped using it after a pressure problem, due to the pump.