New Axles?

MGD72Monte

As part of the ongoing rear end refurb, I have removed the axles from the diff and noted both axle shafts show signs of wear and surface pitting where the bearing rides (on photos, the dull section in the middle of the shiny machined section). The left axle one is a groove with noticeable depth which might explain the greater amount of up-down play which I noted on that side prior to disassembly.

Apparently this level of wear requires new axles according to the book I have. Is this correct or can this be sleeved or otherwise repaired? If new axles are required, any recommended sources for stock street use?

Thanks

Left Axle

IMG_0024.jpg

Right Axle

IMG_0025.jpg

Ouch and yes you are right it is new axle time. I have never heard of a sleeve but there is a special bearing that is used. Basicly what it does is ride on a different section of the axle. But if you are planning any performance usage then do the safest thing and replace the axles. Summit and Jegs both have private brands that are supposed to be stronger than stock. Good luck David

I had a 1988 GMC pickup that the axle seals leaked and they did have some offset seals that rode on a different part of the axle. That fixed the problem and that also let the brakes work properly. Brakes and oil/grease do not mix.

I just purchased two from.... OPGI... and they are a good product and a nice fit. Mine originals were in better shape than yours but still had the pitting and wear.