Hood Latch Bolts

Steve70Carlo

Hey All,

I'm missing bolts from my hood latch, the portion that bolts to the core support. I have been looking around and the only bolts I can find are "Body Bolts". I'm assuming these are the bolts used on the fenders and such. Can anyone tell me if they would be the same for the hood latch bolts I am missing?

Thanks for any help!

-Steve

If no one else chimes in before I am back from work tonight I'll go out and check one and put a thread gauge on it to tell you the length and pitch. Just to confirm it is the one that bolts to the RAD support or onto the hood itself just to be clear. Let me know I'll have a lookie lou tonight.

Scott

The bolts on my hood latch are the same size & thread (5/16" x 18 tpi if my memory serves me well enough to remember these technical things) as my bolts for the fender to the core support. However the fender bolts have six point heads while the hood latch bolts are 12 point heads. All six of the bolts associated with the hood latch are the same.

These are just like the bolts used on my '70 Monte (not powder-coated though):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BODY-LATCH-FENDE...e8#ht_500wt_970

They are 5/16 x 18 (one-inch long) six point bolt heads with captive washers aka: SEMS bolts (I recall reading on this forum that '71-'72 used 12-point heads).

Here's another link:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0162786

You should be able to pick them up at your local auto parts store.

I wanted to take a picture. Well camera battery is kaput and the light in the garage is pretty dim (due to the cold) but I did get to measure one and it is 5/16 and it appears to be to me (in dim light) almost an inch in length. Like the picture posted with the washer on it. I am pretty sure it is NF thread but didn't get to check the pitch (damn cold out there) as hard to see and find my thread gauge for SAE...metric I found, but not much help blush

So I think someone posted a link to Fastenel (sp) so that should work if you need one. OR since these should be the same for many GM cars check the local wreckers and I bet you can find a few of them there and not much $ if any?

Hope it helps, I want to take my hood latch and spring off and sand blast them and maybe put a new spring on mine. Have a lot of little things to do this winter need to get started and crank up the heat out there...

Scott