Big block I.D

bgl0b6

I've been all over the net can't seem to get a good answer.The casting # is 399290,comes up as a 1972 402,owner swears it was original motor from a 1 owner 1971 Impala,not sure.The front pad #T06210LB,comes up as a 1966 396 or as a 1969 427,now I really confused.What do I have anyone know for sure....Mike

Your 399920 tells you its a 2 bolt main 402 cu. The "T" is for plant =Tonowanda (numbers) then the "LB" dictates what car it was installed in originally. You have to find out what cars are associated with "LB" Looks like the "B" stands for Impala

On my 454 mine ends in CRN which dictates a 454 in a 70 Monte

This may help. NastyZ28 usually has some pretty accurate info:

Chevy coding info

Engine coding

Letter chart for body

Chevy block numbers Link to block numbers

You can also go to a book store and take a quick look

through a book called "Chevrolet by the Numbers"

If that is CLB at the end that is a 402. You can look for a date code on the block also. I did have a 71 SS that had a 72 casting number on the block but it had the vin stamped on the pad it was a very late 71 and they had already started using 72 blocks.

I went out and looked at it,its upside down right now and my 56 year old eyes are on the week side but I think you are right it may be CLB.I put the engine and 400 trans in my 71 a few weeks ago just to line everything up as it had a 305 in it when I got it,then pulled it back out,and am going over the bottom end.It was rebuilt about 3000 miles ago but the Impala it was in was an 1/8 mile street racer.Everything looks new and I have reciepts for all the parts and work,I am a little disappointed though,there is real fine lines in a few of the rod journels,and a few of the mains,very fine but still there.It has already been turned .010,new bearings reguardless but may have the crank turned again.Thanks for the answers guys....Mike