Trany ID and Swap ?

ChiefJones

I have two 70 Montes and I am getting started on one of them just making it a driver. The second I am doing a frame off and converting it to a 4 speed. On the first one it currently has a 2 speed automatic, the shift indicator on the dash has P,R,N,D,L the other one has a 3 speed auto with P,R,N,D,2L,1L the first thing that has me confused is what type of transmision the 2 speed is. They both have TH350 shaped pans but the 2 speed has a much longer tail shaft. My next issue is that the 2 speed isnt working in Drive or L but does work in reverse. I would like to fix or replace it to keep this one stock as posible but dont know how a 2 speed will work with a strong 327 or built 350. I have both and not sure which one I am going to drop in. So then I am wondering how tough would it be to put the TH350 I have in the second car in the first? Any and all thoughts on this stuff would be appreciated!!

The 2 speed is probably a powerglide they did use some of them in the montes. They are kinda weak in orig state but I have seen some racers use them but they have to be built right to withstand high horsepower. There ok aas a stock tranny as long as they dont get beat on to bad. that was pretty much the primary tranny used by a lot of the 60 chevys and other gm cars.