Column shift problems turbo 400

bgl0b6

I have asked this question in another part of the forums,hoping some one has the answer.Here is my problem.The car was a 350 turbo,changed to a 400 long shaft from an Impala.both cars were column shift.I drove the Impala before the change and all worked well.If I shift the trans manually from below it shifts into each gear,when I install the linkage and bell crank,it clicks from park to reverse solidly,but to neutral it just fall loosely,then into drive it clicks,2nd solidly and that is as far as it will shift,cannot pull it into low,it just wont go any farther.Is there a difference it the shift rod between a 350 and a 400?I have a parts car that was a 350 trans also,tried the whole set up from that car with the same results,I'm baffled Thanks....Mike I have tried to adjust it from both park position and from low position and get the same results.

The rods coming off the column needs to be adjusted. Without looking at the rods I could not tell you and I'm current at work so I have no access to the el camino that had a 350trans in it and now a 400. Once I get in I will check the the rods

The linkage bracket on the Transmission may be your problem if using the bracket from the 350 tranny as the 400 & 350 use different brackets. The alignment of the cable may be off giving you the irregular shift pattern.

Just a guess?

Doug