Engine Build Thread

Monte72Carlo

Hey guys,

Today was the big day, I was able to bring home my new engine for the monte. I have liked how others such as davey have done engine build threads of the tear down and re-assembly of their high performance engines sharing tips and tricks. I figured I would do the same for my engine maybe sparking some more threads and sharing some knowledge.

Anyways we should start with the engine keeping in mind this is for my 72 Monte carlo racecar which is heading in for a cage and some primer in the next few months or so as money allows.

The engine is a 400 sbc estimated at 700 hp or so says the previous owner. We will put that to the test with a dyno run once it has been re-assembled with a few things here and there :P

Engine as it arrives in the shop today:

P1000859.jpg

P1000860.jpg

P1000861.jpg

As I tear down the engine tonight I will post some more pictures and descriptions of the engine.

Thanks,

Garrett.

Engine tear down from last night:

P1000868.jpg

Bottom End, Bowtie Block

Crank Trigger and jesel timing belt

P1000867.jpg

Jim Bell aluminum 18 degree ex-prostock heads filled with titanium valves

P1000862.jpg

Jesel Shaft Mount Rockers

Big springs hiding an impossible to get to head bolt

P1000864.jpg

Rockers off waiting for my Moroso jesel shaft mount rocker spring compressor tool inorder to get at the last head bolt

P1000865.jpg

Lifter valley. Lifter band unknown as of so far. Looks kinda like isky tie bars.

That wraps up yesterdays work, waiting on a backordered tool.

Thanks,

Garrett.

Hey Garrett, good to hear from you, this is a great and interesting post, please keep it going....that motor has some serious pieces in it, 700 maybe not be too far off. What is you plan for it, freshen, complete rebuild...etc...let me know if I can be of any help....Davey.... wink

Hey guys, Got the hidden head bolt off today and took the heads off. Flat top pistons with these heads at 32cc should be somewhere around 15-1 compression. I haven't done the math but I will come re-assembly. Cooper head gaskets! The plan for the engine will be freshen as well as rod change. Aluminum rods wont carry me far on the street and have a few passes on them already. Oliver rods most likely, I dunno yet. I need to talk to snow performance on a water-meth plate in order to bring the octane rating down and reduce detonation. They state one tank on water-meth I figure 4 liters or so lasts an entire tank. Who knows. I plan on in the future adding a direct port nitrous system of 150-200 shot. As well as a vacuum pump to the motor.

The car of course will need a few upgrades itself to accommodate

The old car of 2800 pounds ran a best of 9.40 with this engine.

More pictures with tear-down.

Thanks,

Garrett.

Should be one heck of a small block! Looks like a set BIG port 18 degree heads. Should be a screamer! Do you think you may have trouble with balancing the crank when replacing the aluminum rods with steel rods. Once the crank has been balanced for a light assembly enough weight has been removed that you may have to get into mallory metal to balance the crank. You may want to talk to Bill Miller at BME he says that his aluminum rods are streetable.

Looks like a fun build.

Yea thanks, I was reading all about BME previously. But there is still so much controversy over weather or not they can handle the street cycling. I Might give them a call and see if they can guarantee them or something of the sort.

Thanks,

Garrett.

I will be honest Garrett, those heads and available intakes for 18 degree heads will not be very streetable. It will be a great track motor, and a fun build.

That will make one heck of a grocery getter Garrett. You planning on putting wings on it? WOW! Keep posting progress please. I don't have the knowledge to do such a project but I do understand a lot of it and therefore I appreciate the effort that goes in to a build like that.