Which torque converter do i use???????

daveyboanz

hello everyone,

I just built a 355 small block roller for my 70 monte . It has about 425 horse with about 450 ftlbs of torque. after i put this motor in i blew my powerglide up frown. I now have a turbo 400 but it needs a converter so i figured a stock stall would be fine but people are telling me to go with a higher stall than stock. I was going with originally a 1600 to 2200 stall but i am being told to go with a 2200 to 2600, is this right? The car is a cruiser i drive it everywhere and every once in a while (like once a year) i take it down the track. Dont get me wrong i like burnouts and i do beat on it grin I am putting a posi in it with 3:55's next year so i dont know what i should do. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Learning from my transmission guy, others in the same situation, one around 2,200 would be ideal. If you race alot you want more stall. I have that in my Monte and it works fine. You don't want a stock stall.

2,200 is probably good, but the only way to know for sure is to call a converter manufacture and ask them. If they don't ask you all the specifics about your setup with your car, thank them hang up, and call someone else. Coan, Yank, and Midwest are all good sources for a quality torque converter.

Dave,

The torque converter you use has a lot to do with your rear gears and also the power range of your cam. You want the converter to lock up as you get into your cams power range. If it comes in early you will have a poor launch, too late you may spin tires. My cams power band is 2200-5600 and I was recommended a 2600-2800 stall. The size of the converter is also a factor 10"-12" which they will make a recommendation.

I would recommend calling Coan. Thats what me & Al are running. They have a strong following, known quality and are used in all the Monster Jam trucks which demand a lot! They will walk through your entire combination and set it up to meet the requirements of your set-up.

If you plan on adding any upgrades in the near future build them into plan so you will end up where you want. If you do not figure it in your calculations and end up being conservative on your build compared to where you end up, you will end up with more stall than intended.

Here is their website: Coan Racing

Dan